Gear Selection - Be Brutal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish it were possible to try the gear before I buy it, but my LDS doesn't have any BP/W's for rent, and the only reg's I have seen are the sherwood blizzards (excellent everytime I've used it) and bruts for the pool. The only BC that I have used is a sherwood avid, which isn't bad, but I feel very bulky when wearing it (hence the BP/W)

I really would like to get the weight setup down, when I dive the rental gear, the 3xl oceanic is TOO big, especially the boots, which fill up with air and make me wear ankle weights. (The 2xl won't fit my shoulders)

Basically I've got the Avid's weight pockets filled up with weight, and 30lbs on my belt. It gets taxing hauling around the weight, a wet BC, too much neoprene and the tank - even worse in the water because the feet on the suit are so big I can't fit my turtles on, and I have to use the rental cheapies that look like big tennis raquets without the holes - It takes so much energy to push with the fins, I'm not enjoying the dive as much as I could.

SO I want to keep it bare bones and light, as light as possible. I figured a BP/W would cut me down a little, and if I get a decently fitted drysuit (Anyone try Abyss drysuits?) I'll be down quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I live is an area with not a lot of options :wink:
This board helps me make decisions on gear. I really appreciate comments.

Are you wearing shoes over those drysuit boots? Get you a pair of Converse Allstars (basically DUI Rock Boots) and that'll help with the air getting in there. Not as good as a properly fitting suit, but it'll help.

DUI, Bare, or Whites are good choices for a drysuit. All can do a custom suit which will fit you perfect, or they have a myriad of stock sizes which will probably work.

Are your Turtles the ones you had been using with wetsuit boots? If so, most likely no drysuit boot will fit, and you'll have to get a new pair.

+1 BP&W with basic Hog' harness as 'the' basic starting point (modify if/as necessary)

Regs depend on your service options. It's nice to have full, proper, locally supported gear. I would seek the advice of local divers to see if there is any significant gear preference and why.

Consider getting a used plate or $50 Hammer Head (site having problems)

Consider used gear as a way to "try" items, just factor in a service fee for regulators and such

redblanket:
Basically I've got the Avid's weight pockets filled up with weight, and 30lbs on my belt.
WOW, that's a LOT of weight!

For a little comparison, I dive Worthington LP 121s for singles and doubles using a SS 6 LB plate. Currently, with the single, I use 10 LBS for my Viking DS with "medium weight" undergarment, no weight for my 5 mm wetsuit. With doubles, I use no additional weight for either dry or wet. I'm 6'3 and 275 LBS.

Maybe re-thinking your kit strategy might be better idea. Are you diving steel cylinders? Are you "managing" the drysuit correctly? If you need to "re-arrange" weight, one option is doubling up the plates. Most plates fit back-to-back and work fine with a "Hog" harness in this fashion. I think you will find diving to be a LOT easier underwater if you can reduce the weight load.

I can appreciate what you said about not being able to "try" gear. Won't the LDS just let you use it once in the pool, or does one of the LDS employees have similar equipment they can let you try? I'm thinking that a dive shop looking to sell in your local market would at least come up with something?

Bob's observations about the plate vs. pac system are certainly accurate, I think the only advantage to "pacs" is the out-of-water comfort.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

teknitroxdiver:
Are your Turtles the ones you had been using with wetsuit boots? If so, most likely no drysuit boot will fit, and you'll have to get a new pair.
:confused:

To my knowledge, Turtles only come in one size ... really wide. If your boot won't fit in those, it ain't likely you're going to find a fin that'll fit ya ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My turtles fit my wetsuit boot, but the ones on this drysuit have to be at least 14 or 15, because I wear a 13 and my feet are SWIMMING in them.

I know if seems like a lot of weight, but my problem is that the suit fits so poorly that air gets stuck in it, and I have to flick around like I'm having a sezuire to get the air to get out of the left bicep. It's actually kind of funny to watch I guess! :)

I'm going to speak with the LDS when it stops snowing 20cm a day, and see if I can get a BP/W to check out - wish me luck!

Hmm...right you are about the Turtle sizing...guess i was thinking of Jets.

Another thing you could think about when you start getting your own tanks: get steels, either LP85s/HP100s or 120s or LP104s/HP130s. Those will help you with your weight problem and be useful when you want to double them up.

Ok, I went to my local LDS and he was a special "tech package" - an apeks wtx harness, ss backplate, weight system, 45lb bladder, xtx50 reg and apeks egress octo for $1399.99 CAD. What does the price sound like to you guys?

And I can use the gear before I buy it, I just have to do a $50 Equipment Specialty course? Anyone ever hear of this?

redblanket:
And I can use the gear before I buy it, I just have to do a $50 Equipment Specialty course? Anyone ever hear of this?
Is that considered a surcharge or what?:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom