Gender v. Water Temp.

What average water temp. do you dive in most often?

• I am female and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • I am female and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 41 19.3%
  • I am male and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 49 23.1%
  • I am male and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 107 50.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are LOTS of pretty things to see in cold water, they just aren't neon colored.

Water temp does not dictate how much weight you have to wear, although I suppose dry v. wet does indirectly. Come on, that's not a good reason! Tons of women SKI and ski gear isn't any more horrible than a drysuit.

Your poll might get better responses if you worded it differently. My wife and I dive all temps. For me, it doesn't matter what the temp is. My wife prefers water that's a little warmer. She'll dive 40 deg water, but she prefers at least 60 deg, and still wears her dry suit (so do I, though).

Here's something interesting - my wife and I have been diving with the same computers. We've dived with 2 different brands/models to date. Her computer always reads 1 deg colder than mine. She always jokes that it's because I'm warmer so I heat the water around me up a degree. We started off with console computers, so I don't think it's positioning of the computer. We now dive wrist computers, and we both tend to keep our hands near our chest. Who knows?!?

I'm just trying to figure outwhere all the other lady divers are up here where it's cold. It's a qiestion that niggles at the back of my mind. Not that I am complaining about my male dive buddies :wink: Hmmmmmm. Interesting. There is a myth that says women are supposedly a tad warmer than men but I'm pretty sure it is just a myth. If you both swim in that position maybe hydrodynamics has some effect? That doesn't make sense either. Maybe your wife is right :wink:

Hey... you know as an oceanographer, I had never considered the possibility that an abundance of male divers causes water to be cold whereas female divers cause the water to be warm! Yet clearly that is what your results are showing!

All us oceanographers had assumed it had to do with currents, solar heating, that kind of thing. I guess we have all been wrong!

I wonder if that means putting male divers in your drink would have the same effect as ice cubes?

Gross :yuck:

Gidds:
I was trying to figure out why women who live in cold places seem less likely to dive than women who live in warm places ...
My wife has about a four degree tolerance.

75 degrees and it's turn on the AC.

65 degrees and it's the heater.

Rick Inman:
My wife has about a four degree tolerance.

75 degrees and it's turn on the AC.

65 degrees and it's the heater.

Is she related to my wife, by chance?

Some couples argue over the remote control, we argue over the thermostat.

scubafool:
Is she related to my wife, by chance?
They're all related, aren't they?
:D

No, I have come to the conclusion that my wife is a unique species unto herself. In the interests of science, I have devoted the rest of my life to studying her peculiar traits and habits.

Gidds:
I was trying to figure out why women who live in cold places seem less likely to dive than women who live in warm places
I have a female friend who only dives warm - but she is the only lady I know who can easily afford to fly somewhere warm and go... All the ladies around here dive cold because it's a dive. I would also like to mention it's not exclusive to women. There are many warm water only divers here who are men.
Gidds:
Do men really stay warmer than women up here or is there some sort of social factor coming into play?
Men really stay warmer - it's physiological a truth. (I'm sure someone here has the time to get a good link for you if you don't have the time to do a search.)
The only social factor I see in scuba on a regular basis, is a few newcomers having the idea scuba is about masculinity. (A few of "those" don't appreciate my opinion on scuba being about grace...) In regards to water temps and the social factor between women and men - I guess some people like to play a game of chicken. (Well, those people are stupid because scuba and hypothermia don't mix.) I think some women as well as men feel the need to prove something... whatever.
You may find that your poll won't help you find what you're looking for though. I find all the women I know, who dive, could care less about posting on the internet with the other responsibilites they have. (But I guess that issue within itself could be a different thread!)
I hope that helps and you find what you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom