Get some pop corn folks ;-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it more advantageous, in terms of advancing our civilization, to bubble wrap our children, or with our guidance, allow them to create and explore??

I'm just gonna drop theses two links here:

Discuss.

I was going to say let them create and explore, but then I watched the videos...never mind!

Why not go semi-surface supplied and use the back mounted cylinder as an accumulator. I mean if you do not like your children and really want to OFF them this might a a fun way to do it. But officer, I saw it on Youtube and the guy said it was "very safe."

I am all for this sort of thing, experimentation, learning but how about not using your kids as the test pilots for your homemade silly crap.

Nice bicycle pump.

N

I think it's awesome. The kids learned about regulators, gas laws, PVC glue, how to make a system systematically, and were supervised the whole time. Sure it could have gone wrong, but so could falling out of a tree.

In my youth, I learned a lot by experiments just like this one. Today I believe that guardian angels really do exist. I still vividly remember that breathing by taking a garden hose to the bottom of the pool is not a good idea. Neither is jumping off the garage roof with a weather balloon parachute that a couple of us found out in the woods. As a matter of fact, it was stunts like this that probably ingrained the importance of good training.

I think it's awesome. The kids learned about regulators, gas laws, PVC glue, how to make a system systematically, and were supervised the whole time. Sure it could have gone wrong, but so could falling out of a tree.

I'm in agreement with your evaluation. Considering the crap my brother and I got into at that age, without adult supervision, this seems quite tame. I'm just amazed, in hindsight, that we didn't sustain more permanent damage.

Bob

Agreed.

Interesting isn't it? The assumptions we make about this father and his family without any prior knowledge. How much knowledge does he have about scuba? How much knowledge does he have about engineering? How much of this knowledge has he passed onto his kids? What interesting and "dangerous" devices did the early pioneer scuba folks come up with that directly led to the technology that we have today?

Home schooling in STEM technologies, the practical side. Great to see youngsters working with their father on a super cool project. Beats the pinewood derby for sure.

p.s. Get these kids in a Jr. Scuba Diver program for a real certification, they've earned it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom