Get some pop corn folks ;-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my youth, I learned a lot by experiments just like this one. Today I believe that guardian angels really do exist. I still vividly remember that breathing by taking a garden hose to the bottom of the pool is not a good idea. Neither is jumping off the garage roof with a weather balloon parachute that a couple of us found out in the woods. As a matter of fact, it was stunts like this that probably ingrained the importance of good training.

I'm in agreement with your evaluation. Considering the crap my brother and I got into at that age, without adult supervision, this seems quite tame. I'm just amazed, in hindsight, that we didn't sustain more permanent damage.

Bob

Any time I see a child involved in any thing besides a friggin phone, game console, or an iPad, I think, finally one that has some interest in real life adventures!! What I used to do for entertainment when younger, would probably land me in jail or a psych ward these days!! Along with Mom and Dad arrested for neglect!! I applaud the interest of these kids!

Boys will be boys. :) My husband did some super sketchy stuff as a youngster.

Issues:

1. Basic scuba knowledge/protocols (i.e. not holding your breath on ascent etc)
2. Safety of homemade/improvised equipment. (engineering oversight)
3. Emergency scuba knowledge/protocols (i.e. what they would do if that homemade kit fails)
4. Quality of supervision (blind leading blind, or expert leading learners)
5. Quality of project research (comprehensive or 'don't know what they don't know)

If 'Dad' was an engineer and experienced diver/instructor, encouraging good methodology and research from his kids... safely supervising every phase of development and application; this could have been a safe and beneficial project.

On the other hand:

screen_shot_2013-12-30_at_5.07.54_pm.png

That's awesome...

I had a student show up at a pool session one night, straight from the farm. He'd built his own gear. It involved a fertilizer sprayer, and pressure tank of some sort...

I denied him the pleasure of trying it in the pool...

This may not have ended well. There's a post on the second video by the guy who made the video...

deadalready.png

This may not have ended well. There's a post on the second video by the guy who made the video...

deadalready.png
I think/hope the guy just has a sick sense of humour, note his text comment regarding the first try ended in hospital...

Now this guy made a homemade scuba system so he could cave dive... what could go wrong?

Youtube is full of these type videos, and some have lots and lot sof views, which means interest, not a horrible thing if we can take that interest to lessons

deadalready.png

If you catch the annotations that come up during the video you can clearly see he does indeed have a sense of humor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom