Getting certified and need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rixxir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am getting certified on 8/12/11 and was recommended by friends to purchase regs first and rent the other equipment until I can afford to purchase. I have mask,fins,booties,snorkel. I am looking at a few options. I found at leisurepro a set of oceanic alpha 8 with octo and computer for $449. My local dive shop says that it is entry level equipment. My buddies have more money than I do and have all Scubapro regs, MK25, 600 regs, etc. I have about $450 and would like to buy regs,octo and computer but think from advice that I should look for a preowned set that is a little higher end. I plan to dive wrecks,spear a few fish in SW Florida. Please advise, Any input will greatly be appreciated. I am 43 years old and weigh about 250, smoke the occasional cigar so I am not sure if airflow will be an issue?

Well, for one, wrong forum, this is about BC's. Since your new its understandable.

The next to last piece of equipment i bought for myself were my regs. Regs for the most part are regs, and given the huge possibility of a liability suite, Dive Shop regs tend to be serviced regularly.

For me, the two items you should look at picking up first would be a wetsuit that fits you and/or a BC. I'm 6'7 and the 'stock' BC's that LDS and such offer are rather uncomfortable. I picked up one that fit me near perfectly (BP/wing type design) and the Certification dives were a breeze.

Best of luck,

Briam

Sounds like fun! 1st you have to ask yourself how often you
will be diving? If it's often... say 2-3 times a month, go for the
best regulator you can afford and buy it new unless you plan
to drop $75 to $150 rebuilding it BEFORE USING IT. If you
don't plan to dive very often then stick with a good rental,
a regulator, bcd and computer will have to serviced once a year
even if you only used it a few times! I had to buy 3 bcd's before
I found one that I really liked because I didn't have the money
for a good one, the point with scuba gear is that it is your life!
If you must, save, save, save and get good quality gear the 1st time!

IMO I would rent a BC and tank and get my own regs, wetsuit and wrist computer. If moneys tight get the computer first, regs second and wetsuit third. The so called entry level regs will breathe just fine. A buddy of mine just bought 2 hogs for cavediving and they breathe just fine. A PC for about $300 will do you fine and wetsuits are 200-400 bucks.Regulators by HOG - Highly Optimized Gear - Dive Gear Express

Sorry for posting in the wrong place, just not paying attention, thanks for the advice, I'll probably know a lot more after the cert class. In any event, I am saving and should have a couple hundred more this week, so my options should expand. I saw a Mares set on leisurepro with BC, regs, gauges for $549. This may be an option as well

Do not buy online, unless you check with the manufacturer and see if the online site if an authorized dealer. LeisurePro will suposedly offer a warranty but it is not a factory warranty. Besides your LDS is where you will need the relationship in the future, support them. Do your research online and go talk to the local shop, they may match prices. As to your question, my first reg was a Titan LX that I got from a shop that was clearing inventory, got it for 275$. I used that so called entry level for 2 years before i upgraded. I up graded to a FDX10 with an EOS and I like the Titan better. Dont let price fool you. You can always rent gear and try different equipment to find something you like. Buy what you can afford and move on to the next item. Depending on body size and if you get cold you might want to get a wetsuit first. I am a big guy and certified in Monterey (43deg) so the first thing I got was a custom wetsuit. Buy new you dont want someone elses problems.

Actually Leisure Pro is an authorized dealer for a lot of the stuff they sell and for the ones they are not their own warranty is as good if not better on some items. And you don't get screwed over paying for a name. I can't say anything bad about them and I am an authorized dealer for Edge/HOG. I have bought items I don't carry from them and will again.

Bought a new Oceanic Excursion for $280..................niiiice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom