Getting certified and need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Delta 4 and tried it in my pool, 1st time down last night, a little nervous in the first couple minutes, but loved it, then I tried my buddy's Alpha 8, total difference. My delta 4 breathes effortlessly, I am very confident that I made the right choice, being used and recently serviced.

Used regulators are the way to go if you want to save money. In general, I would advise a newly certified diver to buy gear in the following order: exposure suit first, BC second, wrist computer third, regulator fourth. The suit and the BC are the most important decisions in terms of dive comfort IMO. You need an appropriate suit for the temps you're diving in and it must fit well. That alone will make a huge difference in dive enjoyment. The BC issue is a little more complicated; I would suggest trying out a rigid backplate/wing/webbing harness rig, as well as a couple of soft BCs, before buying anything. A well designed and properly fitting BC (I like the rigid backplate FAR more than the soft BCs) makes a highly noticeable difference in your buoyancy control and overall feeling of control. This is especially true for newer divers that are still learning to fine tune buoyancy. In contrast, almost any regulator that's in good condition will work quite well for recreational diving. Many new divers have a fear that their reg will not supply enough air or that they'll find it difficult to breathe with an entry level reg. Typically this is not true; while there is a big difference in performance between excellent, perfectly tuned regs and entry level regs (often used as rentals) that are not tuned as well, it's nothing like the difference with a great fitting wetsuit and the right type of BC. The computer is optional of course, you can use tables, but these days so much charter diving is multi-level and the profiles are so computer-friendly that it really does make life easier for recreational divers to use one. It doesn't make much difference what kind you get; they all more-or-less do the same thing and I would not bother with high-end gadgetry. A simple nitrox compatible computer will do the job.

Ok, so I learned the hard way and attempted my certification pool dives with a back inflate.........Stupid.......I was so uncomfortable with the BC and the separate weight belt (required for cert.) I was lucky and sold it for almost what I paid for it. I'm going to rent a few until I fall in love with something. I tried a rash guard and it was way too tight. I was uncomfortable with the attitude from the back inflate..... A mess

A middle of the road regulator is just fine to start. We bought Aqualung Titans when we got certified, and were still using them right up to the day we made the decision to standardize our entire group of 19 regulators on HOG.

My personal advice would be to start with a wetsuit appropriate to the places where you are going to dive. Renting things that have to fit to work doesn't always work out very well.

As I said before, if your back-inflate BC was pushing your face into the water, then either it didn't fit you, you didn't have it adjusted correctly, you were overweighted and overinflated (actually quite likely in a pool), or you had your weights in entirely the wrong place. But you have sold it, so that's water under the bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom