Getting Certified Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ImmaHyrdalisk

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a fairly new diver with my Advanced and Nitrox certifications, and I dive 100% saltwater with my fiancee currently off of our boat. I'm in the water pretty much every weekend, and I'd like to get a little more into the technical and cave side in the future (6-ish months from now).

Only problem is I know my fiancee isn't totally interested in cave and is not well equipped to deal with technical diving, so it's something I will likely be learning solo. My only other friend who is an active diver doesn't have the money for training either, so I'm SOL as far as friends go.

My question is, is there any issue getting certified solo with an instructor? Additionally, after I'm certified will I have any issues finding buddies to dive with? It seems like a specialty like cave diving could make finding buddies even harder as the pool of certified cave divers is rather small in comparison to rec OW.

It also seems like online there's a fair bit of solo cave diving going on, is that somewhat normal?

Thanks

Do you mean, getting certified for technical or cave diving, without a partner/buddy in the class?
Or are you talking about solo certification, i.e. how to dive alone?

There are no issues getting certified alone with an instructor. You get 100% of their attention. I've done that with 2 of my classes. It was very memorable (good way).

One-on-one instruction is great, if you can get it, just as Compressor says. When I did my sidemount training, it was just me and my instructor, and it worked out very well for me that way.

There are no issues getting certified alone with an instructor. You get 100% of their attention. I've done that with 2 of my classes. It was very memorable (good way).
Certain organizations will not give a class with less than 2 students.

You need two people to do a lot of the skills you need to be a cave diver. Air share, touch contact, etc.

If you're solo then you're doing it with the instructor who's then part of the drill and not watching/evaluating and ensuring you don't end up in an unsafe situation.

Solo cave diving anyways divides your resources in half.

we teach the SDI solo class. it's a great class even if you do not dive alone! the focus is on self-reliance and problem solving/mitigation. One of the best classes i took and one of the most popular that i teach.

we teach the SDI solo class. it's a great class even if you do not dive alone! the focus is on self-reliance and problem solving/mitigation. One of the best classes i took and one of the most popular that i teach.
So your version covers solo cave diving?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom