Getting from Israel to Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only place where I've heard of DCS cases related to driving after diving is in the Aqaba-Amman road, Jordan.

In Israel there is the Eilat-Mitzpe Ramon road which gets up to about 800 meters and is about 2 hours from Eilat. Never heard of a case of DCS symptoms related to this altitude- Myself, I drive it all the time after diving in Eilat.

In Sinai the road is even lower- even at the "high" passes near Nuweiba/Dahab road, which is also a few hours from Sharm. I wouldn't worry about it (and yes, I know of dozens of divers who drove this road more than once after safaris, including me :wink: ).

Thanks, but I was being "better safe than sorry". As we drove into Sharm, we kept going up and up and up and my ears were popping away. I didn't have any idea what altitude we were at, but it seemed higher than I wanted to risk it. (Maybe I'm just a little too conservative, Oh well :wink: )

We deided it would be much better to give up a night dive and then an early morning dive before getting on the road. It also gave us a great chance to clean and dry our gear while all the other divers were in the water. So, when we reached the dock it was a quick jump off the boat while everyone else was scrambling to get packed up. :D

In case you don't want to miss out on diving Ras Mohammed or some further away sites (e.g. the Thistlegorm), you can get the full Egyptian visa at the Egyptian consulate in Eilat (should cost $15, I guess).

thanks everyone for the great info. I think i'm actually going to spend some time all over egypt not just in the water. Am thinking of going tel aviv - cairo - luxor -sharm. thanks again.

I just crossed the border into Eypt at Taba in May and it was very easy. See my posting in this forum under "Isn't Nuweiba very under-rated for diving experience and value?"

DO NOT CROSS FROM DAHAB TO SHARM AFTER DIVING.

- unless you have had at least 3 hours of off-gassing before hand.

There are instructors here in Dahab who have been bent going over the mountains.

This is not just scaremongering, it is fact. A very experienced Swiss instructor who has lived here for 7 years is now limited to 18 metres due to the bend she got after a week's "knees in the sand" working here in Dahab and then driving to Sharm with her husband.

Suunto computers will change from A0 to A1 whilst going over the top.

Be circumspect guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom