Getting Horizonal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER once bubbled...
I had not thought of moving more weight to the trim pockets. I am diving with a Knighthawk now but am waiting on a new Balance. I thought to have that much weight(5lbs) in the trim pockets would have been excessive. I would think that the times you did get vertical, that much weight would have a tendency to pull you backwards?

I was thinking the same thing but it didn't...It actually made it more comfortable when on the surface...Now this is just my experience and I could be way off base here...But its working.

By the way you are going to love your new Balance...Great bc very comfortable, and plenty of lift for even cold water diving...I have a Large with 40lbs of lift which is plenty for the type of diving I'm doing.

I have a back inflate BC and it tends to roll. Any ideas? I use 2 in each trim and 8 in each ditchable.

msedivingdoc once bubbled...
I have a back inflate BC and it tends to roll. Any ideas? I use 2 in each trim and 8 in each ditchable.
Give more detail about what you mean when you say roll and what type of bc you are using... I'm sure there is someone who has had the same problem and can help you out..

Perhaps this illustration will help you better understand the overall concept... If you have any questions... and you may, please ask away

Doppler

Doppler once bubbled...
Perhaps this illustration will help you better understand the overall concept... If you have any questions... and you may, please ask away
Great illustrations, but wouldn't the first diver be more streamlined if the tank band were a bit higher in the bands, his feet were a bit lower so that they don't stick out so far beyond the tank, and his hands and arms were folded back along side his body?

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Great illustrations, but wouldn't the first diver be more streamlined if the tank band were a bit higher in the bands, his feet were a bit lower so that they don't stick out so far beyond the tank, and his hands and arms were folded back along side his body?

Hey dude: how are you doing?

OK, your questions one at a time... but with the preamble that I did the illustrations and I intended them to illustrate the point that balance is key to "harmony" rather than to say: "this is exactly how things should look." (You engineers are exacting souls!! LOL)

Tank higher in the bands... well, moving the tank around in the bands (with doubles) or up and down in the BC Band with a single is a key way to adjust trim. IN fact many single tank divers have a problem getting trimmed out correctly because one day they may have six inches of tank above the strap and the next it may be much more or much less.

Feet a bit lower. I have tried to illustrate the "optimal" position for silt-free finning. The illustration may be a bit exaggerated but shows that we do not want to have the legs flattened out when at rest... I tell students to think of getting a position something like a skydiver... at least with the legs.

Which brings us to the hands... out in front is prefered in the horizontal position since they 1/ help with the balance 2/ are ready to do work 3/ make it easy to read wrist-mounted gauges and 4/ that's where your light will be held.

I realise not everyone uses a light with a goodman handle or has wrist mounted gauges, but I try to reinforce these techniques in classes... hence the way the illustration is.

One small point with the extended arms... lengthening the body may decrease drag very slightly... and so actual outcome is better streamlining.

Thanks for your questions. Hope my answers helped

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom