Getting HP Steel fills to rated pressure in South Florida area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFL_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I've got the Pressed Steel High Pressure series tanks which are rated at 3442 psi.

Fill Express always fills them to around 3600 psi (final pressure after cool down). It's usually around 4000 psi hot.

Now I have taken my tanks to two other dive shops and only got filled to a little over 3000 psi. That pisses me off. I'm basically getting an underfill. The whole point of buying high pressure steel tanks is to have them filled at the rated pressure, as a bare minimum.

I really don't care if the fill shop fills my tank in water, fills it to 4000 psi hot, or anything else, as long as I have the rated pressure of 3442 psi at room temperature. It's stupid to bring a tank back after it's cooled off for a 200 psi topoff. Some shops actually expect you to do that.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with high pressure steel tanks?

I have HP100s that are rated at 3500. The only time I got big time short fills was in the Keys. I got them back at 3000 and 2900. I mostly go to my regular dive shop and get anywhere between 3450 and 3700 after a cool down.

I did go back to the Keys dive shop last week and mentioned to them about my fills last year. This year they were 3500 on the dime. I would ask the for the top off if I had time, but otherwise I would ask Whiskey Tango Foxtrot the next time I went in.

SFL_diver:
I've got the Pressed Steel High Pressure series tanks which are rated at 3442 psi.
Fill Express always fills them to around 3600 psi (final pressure after cool down). It's usually around 4000 psi hot.
Now I have taken my tanks to two other dive shops and only got filled to a little over 3000 psi. That pisses me off. I'm basically getting an underfill. The whole point of buying high pressure steel tanks is to have them filled at the rated pressure, as a bare minimum.
I really don't care if the fill shop fills my tank in water, fills it to 4000 psi hot, or anything else, as long as I have the rated pressure of 3442 psi at room temperature. It's stupid to bring a tank back after it's cooled off for a 200 psi topoff. Some shops actually expect you to do that.
Has anyone else experienced this problem with high pressure steel tanks?

Why are you taking your business elsewhere when you already figured out FillExpress does it right everytime?? :confused:

Many places only can fill to 3,000 - 3200, check before you drop your tanks off. Best you can get is the bank pressure, and fill express has a very, very high bank pressure.

deepstops:
Why are you taking your business elsewhere when you already figured out FillExpress does it right everytime?? :confused:

I usually go to Fill Express. But sometimes I go to Divers Direct for the $2.00 air fill if I'm doing beach diving.

SFL_diver:
I usually go to Fill Express. But sometimes I go to Divers Direct for the $2.00 air fill if I'm doing beach diving.

I guess the old adage is true then: you get what you pay for.

Divers Direct in Dania has a big machine for fills; they hook up 6 - 8 tanks to it, close it up and crank the switch. If there are AL80s or any other AL tank rated to 3000 psi, you will get a short fill. DD in WPB does not have that machine and they monitor the pressure as they fill it. But for me, with F.E. 10 mins away, and as cheap as they sell nitrox, there's just no substitute, even for beach dives. My HP 130 gets 3500 consistently.

It almost seems that if the dive shop is not experienced with HP steel tanks, they are very likely to underfill due to that inexperience. Stick with what you know; nitrox is far better to breathe than air anyway, and at F.E's prices, you just can't go wrong.

I have decals attached to the top of my HP tanks right at the neck of the valve opening that state, "Fill Pressure: 3500psi Cold".

I have been known to cut a check for the "fill" based upon the percentage of fill I received, ie a $7.50 fill that checked out at 2950 psi I paid $6.50.

Well, actually I did ending up paying $7.50 because they took the tanks back and topped them off to the full fill pressure.

the K

SFL_diver:
Divers direct (in Dania) fills tanks to 3000 psi PERIOD. Worst fills around. Pay the extra $2 for a fill from fill express.

If you get the fill card, it's cheaper per cu ft :wink:

While I normally drive to Fill Express for fills on my HP steels, you could also get your tanks filled at Brownies Southport Divers in Fort Lauderdale if you don't feel like going to Pompano.

Brownie's Southport Divers
1530 Cordova Road
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Ph 954.524.2112 Fx 954.524.7598
info@yachtdiver.com

(I-95 to I-595 east, north on Federal Hwy, east on 17th Street 1/2 mile, north on Cordova, two blocks on right, next to Southport Raw Bar)

Note - they are more expensive then FE.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom