getting into tech gear(weight question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,Im getting into tech gear.my gear now is a 7mm wet suit farmer john with steel lp 85s probe bc, with a 40al pony.I just purchased dui tls 350 signature dry suit.A,dive rite wing(60ibs lift)with a ss back Plate (6ibs).I used 27ilb weight with my wetsuit, probe bc and 1 steeel lp 85 and pony.Im going to use double lp steel 85s with a drysuit and wing i dont know where to start with the weight.im going in a few days to my aunts pool to start adjusting my weight ,gear.any input would be appricated.Thanks Dan

Hi,Im getting into tech gear.my gear now is a 7mm wet suit farmer john with steel lp 85s probe bc, with a 40al pony.I just purchased dui tls 350 signature dry suit.A,dive rite wing(60ibs lift)with a ss back Plate (6ibs).I used 27ilb weight with my wetsuit, probe bc and 1 steeel lp 85 and pony.Im going to use double lp steel 85s with a drysuit and wing i dont know where to start with the weight.im going in a few days to my aunts pool to start adjusting my weight ,gear.any input would be appricated.Thanks Dan

Depending on your height, body weight, and undergarment(s) used; you might not need to add any weight at all. I am 5'9" and around 170 pounds and can dive a set of LP steel 85's with an aluminum backplate (~2 lbs) in my trilam drysuit (DiveRite 905 and 400 weight undergarments) with no additional weight. Especially if carrying a stage/deco bottle or two). This is in fresh water. In sea water I add a few pounds, but probably don't need to as I am usually use a much lighter undergarment.

I would start with no weight and see if you're negitive or not with full tanks and see what happens as they empty. The most important thing to find out is if you can hold a 10 foot stop with near empty tanks. If not, then add a few pounds as needed. Hope this helps.

i use my back plate "bar weight" just about all the time (as a starting point) and don't truly consider it "extra weight" since i have more fat on my body than most of the people i dive with (muscle is more dense) but you will see a difference between the neoprene from the farmer john being more buoyant than the less dense trilam material on the drysuit.

hope this helps a little (but remember everyone is different)

As always get in the water and do a buoyancy check. It is the best way to know how much weight you are going to need. How many dives do you have? I would think that if you are at a point of doing technical procedures you would know this already?

I dont know because I have been diving with a wet suit for 16yrs and am going tech,with a drysuit and doubles its going to be different. Thanks for your input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom