Getting my son certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations!!! You've made a bond with your son that I believe can't be broken. My son will be 16 in July. We both started when he was 12 and now we have 2 AOW certifications cold and warm water.
What memories...lifelong buddies...
We're now planning our first liveaboard vacation for next April. What a way to get him to stop watching TV or playing those stupid video games.

He had done a lot of snorkeling in the past with me, and was always jealous of me and my sister taking off in the boat to go out diving and now we can all go together.

Wait... what about your OTHER certified sibling :) you know... the older brother?

Congrats!!!! To you both. My daughter was certified at 10 as well and is now 21 and has had stories to tell all the other kids over the years that they simply couldn't comprehend. I think one of the biggest benefits she's gained from being a diver at a very young age is learning the different level of responsibility and attention to rules and detail that most kids do not get exposed to.

Congrats! That's very exciting!
For part of my DM training, along with the other DMC, we are helping with my step-grandson's Scout troop. A group of ten boys, all around twelve years old. I'm very excited about this upcoming class, lots of fun.

Congratulations, he is going to love diving. As for the exam, that is the last classroom thing they have you comlplete. Most likely they will have had him complete at least some of the check out dives before the exam, however there are tests after each section with PADI. I am not NAUI certified, so I do not know specifically how they certify you. The questions I do not believe get as specific as to kilograms. Maybe NAUI does, but PADI did not. If you knew depth in feet, you were good to go with PADI. Now, with the BCD, I would check out Aqualungs BCD's. I use an Aqualung, and it has done very well for me. Good luck to your son!!!

On the last dive today he led the group of 4 plus the instructor on the navigation and got us right back where we started.

In the end, a NAUI instructor must ask prior to certification, "would I allow this student to dive with a loved one?"

Looks like your son met the grade! Congrats!

Mike

Diving with your kid is such a fantastic experience. Right now he"s 10 and cute and thinks you're awesome all the time....guess what, then they become teens and that is out the window. Diving with him will be away for you two to stay connected.
I got my 14 year old son certified a year ago. We have almost 60 dives together now a year and change later. It has become a great way to spend quality time with him that most parents of teens don't get to experience. He has become a strong dive "buddy" and we have a blast together. We started lobster shore diving together this season and we have a blast. Good, good times.
If ReeferBen Jr and you can continue to share the diving experience together, you will build an excellent bond that........um, can get you through the teen years that are coming without pulling your hair out!

Wait... what about your OTHER certified sibling you know... the older brother?

LOL Well looks like you beat our sister to the punch since in a few days we will be in the islands diving with you and she will be in Long Beach alone still. :D

then they become teens and that is out the window.

I already catch him rolling his eyes at me so I know it is coming. As long as he doesnt take after my teenage years. :dunce:

Congratulations, he is going to love diving. As for the exam, that is the last classroom thing they have you comlplete. Most likely they will have had him complete at least some of the check out dives before the exam, however there are tests after each section with PADI.

My son did the pool work, followed by exam, check out dives, filling in the log book, and that was it. All the exam was done before the check out dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom