Getting open cell wetsuit on over hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90to90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased an unlined open cell wetsuit so I can freedive warmly here in the PNW. Warmth has certainly been achieved but I really struggled getting the top part of the suit over my head full of hair. I completely soaked the inside of the suit with conditioner/water before donning, and it was easy getting it on the rest of my body, but I had to really force the suit over my head. I have a lycra cap I put on over my hair to get into my drysuit but have a feeling the open cell would still encounter friction if I used it. So short of shaving my head, does anyone with long hair in the freediving community have some suggestions?

I recently purchased an unlined open cell wetsuit so I can freedive warmly here in the PNW. Warmth has certainly been achieved but I really struggled getting the top part of the suit over my head full of hair. I completely soaked the inside of the suit with conditioner/water before donning, and it was easy getting it on the rest of my body, but I had to really force the suit over my head. I have a lycra cap I put on over my hair to get into my drysuit but have a feeling the open cell would still encounter friction if I used it. So short of shaving my head, does anyone with long hair in the freediving community have some suggestions?
Try a shower cap from the dollar store, similar consistency to a plastic shopping bag....

Use the same suit lube or diluted hair conditioner on your hair before putting the suit on. That's what I do with my MAKO suit. Just slather some on your hair and the suit slides right on. I did the same thing with my drysuits but instead of conditioner I just used the same waterbased personal lube and ran that over my hair and face with my hands.
It also helps to make sure you have actually lubed the suit around the neck area on the inside.

Try a shower cap from the dollar store, similar consistency to a plastic shopping bag....
This'll work, but if the cap is rubber it may still stick to the open cell neoprene unless it has some lubrication applied to it.

Pour conditioner lube in your hair and also lube the suit really well so your hair doesn’t pull all the lube out of your suit. Getting through the neck part is the challenge. But look at the benefits, you are working on your breath hold time while you are working the suit over your face in the time frame you can’t breathe.
I’m just going by what I see people do that are lucky enough to have hair. I’m completely shaved bald so I don’t have that problem.

You know I've got two almost empty water based drysuit lube bottles and just realised I have a gallon of glycerine
I love this place

Back
Top Bottom