Getting out of a drysuit. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a new-to-me Bare drysuit.

Putting the suit on was no real problem, however removing it was "interesting".

Hands and feet were the hardest, with the feet 100x the hands.

I'm certain I'm not the first person to encounter this, any handy hints for the newb?

Thanks!!

John N

I take my boots or socks off by pushing the suit down as far as I can, and then stepping on the boot or sock with the other foot, and raising the leg. Sometimes my socks come off inside the suit and have to be retrieved.

Hands are harder, because you have to work the seals cautiously down over your hands, avoiding poking them with the fingers of the other hand.

What I do is work the suit down like TSandM said, but then I step on the heel of the foot I'm trying to get out. For instance, if I'm getting my right leg out, I'll have my left toes on my right boot heel holding it down, while I raise my right leg out of the suit leg. Hooking my hands under my right knee and pulling makes it fairly easy, since I'm holding the suit boot down with my other foot -- boot stays down, foot slides out.

Based on my own experience, it will get a lot easier with practice. It will still be a pain, but somewhat less so. :D And you'll be dry and warm. :)

Is it a compressed neoprene suit? Is the suit fit relatively "form fitting"? The combination of these two make manuvering this suit more difficult. It will get better with time because you will find your own trip

It also depends on the socks in my experience. Cotton socks do not come out as easy. Fleece, fine fiber wool, or something along the lines of whatever material 4th element uses on their arctic socks slide right out of the turbo sole type boots that are on my suit. Now if you have neoprene socks that might change things up. I've never had the attached socks to use with rock boots or converse all stars so I don;t know how much that adds to process.

Jollop, slides right out..... and in.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Talcum powder, and lots of it.

I bought a new drysuit a few months ago. I've lost a lot of weight between my old dry suit and new & when I measured the neck seal prior to trimming, it was close to what I expected the trimmed dimension to be. So I tried it on as-delivered and, as expected, it was a bit tight. I'd neglected the talcum poweder & when I tried to take it off discovered I didn't have the arm strength to pull the neck opening wide enough to get over my head!!! I was all alone in the house and started having visions of having to call 911 to have someone come cut it off!!!! Eventually I found I could pull it off by grabbing the suit behind me and pulling, whew, and ended up trimming 2- to 3/8" off the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom