getting rid of moldy gear smell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soak them in a tub of water with a cup of fabric softener, then dry.

how about a bad smell from BCD balder? I lent one of mine out and they didn't drain it and left it in the sun for several day.

how about a bad smell from BCD balder? I lent one of mine out and they didn't drain it and left it in the sun for several day.

Tough call. It probably smells funky because of the funky stuff growing in it.

The problem is that without knowing what's actually growing in it, it's hard to know what to kill it with.

Bleach kills mold and a lot of other stuff, however it's really hard on fabric, Some people use mouthwash, but I don't think it does much to already-growing stuff, besides make the BC smell minty. Hydrogen peroxide kills mold, but again, it's rough on fabrics.

Tough call. It probably smells funky because of the funky stuff growing in it.

The problem is that without knowing what's actually growing in it, it's hard to know what to kill it with.

Bleach kills mold and a lot of other stuff, however it's really hard on fabric, Some people use mouthwash, but I don't think it does much to already-growing stuff, besides make the BC smell minty. Hydrogen peroxide kills mold, but again, it's rough on fabrics.

I slightly disagree with Hydrogen peroxide being tough on materials. I work in a hospital on one of the nurses swears by using H202 to take blood of of clothing, and Ive seen her do it. I don't think it'd be too bad on it.

If I noticed a real smell from my BC I would use mirazyme. Won't hurt the bladder, will kill the bacteria, fungi, etc.

I do use mouthwash occasionally to prevent that problem, don't know how good it would be in fighting an infection. In either case you want to flood the air cell and leave it sit overnight to work.

-Bryan

PS. I too believe hydrogen peroxide is too active to be trusted on synthetics.

Back
Top Bottom