Getting the stink out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all! New to the boards all... These guys at DEMA were passing out some new product that supposedly can eliminate any odors in dive gear and disinfect it too. I think it was called Microban QGC or something like that. I got a chance to try some on my gear after a recent diving trip and it made a heck of a difference!

Hey All,

My instructor when I was getting certified told us to use regular fabric softener - like for your laundry - to rinse anything that touches the salt water.

When I get home from diving I put everything in a couple of large trash cans filled with fresh water and some fabric softener.

Then I let everything soak overnight because I am usually way too tired from diving to clean everything right then and there.

The next day I rinse my gear and hang it to dry and everything smells nice like fabric softener.

Enzymes are the key. The longer you can soak your lycra skin in an enzyme rich solution, the more successful the "de-stinkification" will be.

For years now, I use a product sometimes found in those 99 Cents stores called "Fabuloso". It does leave a very mildly subtle residual smell of either citrus, lillac or something called Ocean Breeze, but it does take the dead skin or rotting microorganism smell out.

It takes half a bottle to a 55 gal trash can of water, but if you do find it in the 99 cent store, that's 50 cents a use. If you buy it at a grocery store it will be about $2 + a bottle. It is one product that is not only inexpensive compared to those little yellow squeeze pouches, but it actually works - and works well.

Back
Top Bottom