Getting there from San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to convince a friend from San Diego to join me in Coz in two weeks, but all the flights I can find from obvious sources look very expensive and/or inconvenient. Is there a trick to getting there from southern California like flying through another airport?

Spoke with some folks about a year and a half back who told me there was a nice express shuttle from SD to the Tijauna airport and they flew at a reasonable rate on Interjet with a transfer in Mexico city. A quick rate check shows $300 - 400 RT fares.

$500 on United Saturday morning. 6+ hours each way connecting thru Houston. The Saturday flight has a 40min. connection so I wouldn't check a bag. The next flights are considerably later if they miss that connection. Everything goes into the 10-17hr. range after that.

Capture.jpg

Sunday is possible also - same short connection but a 2 hr. longer, later return.

Capture2.jpg

Last edited:
See how it looks flying into Cancun (CUN).

Travel dates would help.
June 26-29. Part of the problem is that it's a short trip.
That's a possibility, I'll look at those flights.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2015 at 10:59 AM ----------

Spoke with some folks about a year and a half back who told me there was a nice express shuttle from SD to the Tijauna airport and they flew at a reasonable rate on Interjet with a transfer in Mexico city. A quick rate check shows $300 - 400 RT fares.

Thanks, that is definitely something I had not thought of! Unfortunately right now it looks like the June 26 flight to CZM is sold out. :(

My advice is direct flights into Cancun to avoid any plane change problems…they do happen a lot. The "bag drag" from Cancun airport is not that bad, not nearly as bad as a plane change and from the west coast is ALWAYS easier than the others. Did this 1000 times (maybe).

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

My advice is direct flights into Cancun to avoid any plane change problems…they do happen a lot. The "bag drag" from Cancun airport is not that bad, not nearly as bad as a plane change and from the west coast is ALWAYS easier than the others. Did this 1000 times (maybe).

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

In fact, I found a picture of Dave's first time doing the bag drag. I think that is him on the left. Apparently he had miles to use on Lufthansa?

davebiplane 2.jpg

Dear Chief,

Actually that is me on the right. Even though I am 6 Ft tall, The Red Baron was VERY tall.

Dave Dillehay
Pioneer de Cozumel

We are in Cozumel now. As posted previously, TIJ-CUN on Interjet is a great choice for San Diegans. It's affordable, the aircraft are new and well appointed, luggage allowance is 2 checked 50lb bags, and it's same day service.

We are in Cozumel now. As posted previously, TIJ-CUN on Interjet is a great choice for San Diegans. It's affordable, the aircraft are new and well appointed, luggage allowance is 2 checked 50lb bags, and it's same day service.
Great. It looks like they allow 50 Kg of checked luggage = 110 pounds: https://www.interjet.com/more-luggage.aspx?Culture=en-US&gclid=CLGN-K7RqcYCFQcxaQod8TAA0g#Beneficios

Extra kg cost: 5 USD. Not nearly as bad as what US airlines charge. Carry-on is limited to 10 Kg = 22 pounds.

They also serve a few US cities. I have to wonder why Matrix doesn't show them...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom