Getting tired of reading about the same old thing (Score: DIR: 3; Strokes: 0)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpmorrison once bubbled...
WreckWriter
It seems to Me there is nothing else to discuss. You said it best (twice aday). That is why I am tired of it.

Since there's nothing else to discuss, we'll have another DIR vs Strokes battle thread. Maybe someone will chime in on the safety aspects of diving once a year if we're lucky.

Ya know Jim, a funny thing, even though this does happen quite frequently, there's almost always one common factor: the strokes start it and blame it on the DIR divers.

I'll check in tomorrow morning and see who won.

WW

Have you so called (doing it right) people ever heard about recreational diving? Some of us in the other group can dive only once or twice a year, but you make us feel inferior to you. I bet every one of you started out the same way.

Actually, not so much. I knew that I wanted to be the best diver that I could be as soon as I started. Deeper, longer, more challenging. That's what makes if fun. DIR is a means to an end. If it doesn't work for you, fine. Find something that does.

As for Rush's comments, there is no debate. Just the sound and fury from the other side.

There is nothing that says you can't strive to improve your skills, minimize the risks and maximize your fun even if you only dive a couple of times each year.

Or are you using the fact that you don't dive often as an excuse for lousy skills and no desire to improve them?

In answer to your question, a stroke is a diver with an unsafe attitude. Not having a BP/Wing doesn't necessarily make you a stroke. Similarly, having one doesn't mean that you can't earn the title.

Its funny. These posts are usually set up by people who know nothing about DIR and are unwilling to learn. I've yet to hear anyone who actually bothered to educate themselves about it post this type of drivel.

WW, don't worry about who'll win. Darwin will see to that.:boom:

Jim,

I find it ironic that you would start yet another DIR versus non-DIR thread under the guise of being tired of reading the same old thing.

Mike

a term coined by GI3 I believe----talking about divers that are accidents waiting for a place to happen.

WW--the other common denominator in these DIR/non DIR threads is they hit 100 posts in very short order and nothing real is accomplished.

Since you say so much time is wasted on this debate, how about:

D iluting
I nternet
R esources

No...:confused:

:eek:ut:

Hey. It just occured to me (with thanks to Sillygrendel). If DIR isn't recreational diving, then what is it?

Recreation is fun. I dive for fun. Therefore, I dive recreationally. The fact that I try to improve my skills and avoid doing an imitation of a dredge makes it more fun, not less.

What is a stroke?

A STROKE is how some DIR divers describe divers that are not necessarly non-DIR, but practice unsafe diving or dive with unecessary equipment (although the latter is being more commonly refered to as DIW).

Please understand that I am not really anti-DIR. Actually, I am looking forward to a DIR Fundamentals class. I was only having some lighthearted fun.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Since you say so much time is wasted on this debate, how about:

D iluting
I nternet
R esources

No...:confused:

:eek:ut:

Someone else out to have some fun !

Dogma
Initiates
Ridicule

Doofus
It's
Repeating

Dougnuts
Irritate
Rashes

Deviant
Illicit
Recreation

Diddle
Ira
Rapaciously

It's very very cold here in New York City. I wish Spring would come and make it OK to leave my heated apartment. Cabin fever sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom