Getting to Cayman Brac from Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer on the north side is good and has a ladder entry. The dock on the north side has Kissimmee. I think every time I have done the dive, I have seen eagle rays. But the big old barge ties up to the dock so you need to know the schedule.

FWIW, the situation with the twin otters on Cayman Air is mainly a fall problem. They only have 2 planes and they are over 40 years old. They need to be taken out of service periodically for maintenance that requires them to go off-island. They usually do that in the fall when travel to LC is much more limited due to everybody but LCBR closing down for hurricane season. If the one plane still on island breaks down requiring significant repairs, they have no plane left to get people on and off of LC.

During the rest of the year, if one plane breaks down or has to be taken out for on-island maintenance, they consolidate people onto the other flights. When they do that, it often means not all of the luggage goes with. I have never been on the otters when they were completely full and I think that is done on purpose. To my knowledge, they don't have refueling facilities on LC, so they have to carry enough fuel to make it there and back. So they typically fly partial loads unless they are passing through CB as part of the trip, in which case they can refuel on Brac. If they have to double up passengers on flights due to having a plane out, it means the extra passenger weight has to be offset by bags. The morning flights are usually less full and they bring the extra bags then.

I have been going to LC and CB since 1995 and have had luggage left behind by Cayman Airways once and by United out of Houston once in all that time. The Cayman bag was at my doorstep the next morning, while the United bag took 4 days to catch up. Cayman Airways does have an open RFP out trying to buy another used Twin Otter to give them three planes in the fleet. That would allow them to always have two planes available even when one is off island for maintenance. Apparently used Twin Otters for sale are not easy to find though, and for whatever reason, they do not seem interested in the newer models (pilot training requirements perhaps?). If they are able to source one, it could make a big difference in the reliability of their LC service.

Saw this today on an aviation news website and thought it was interesting. It is the first mention I have seen that they were successful in finding another Twin Otter. Also interesting that they are looking to completely replace the TOs and Saab's with one model of plane, which will probably mean they revisit extending the runway on LC or building a new airport.

Cayman Airways CEO Fabian Whorms told ch-aviation it had secured a refurbished and overhauled DHC-6-300 to enter service later this summer to help maintain Cayman Airways Express (Grand Cayman Island) services to Little Cayman. The airfield is only certified for aircraft with 19 seats or fewer.

Regarding its current Saab (Sweden) fleet, Cayman Airways stated in its 2024-25 budget to the Parliament’s Finance Committee that it plans to replace it. However, Whorms said no aircraft model has been selected as yet. In the past, he said "we would like to replace them with a type that can also fulfil the missions that the Twin Otters currently fulfil... Then we would just have two types [in the fleet], which would make us more efficient."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom