Giant Clam, Kosrae, F.S.M.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful pic… any black pearls inside??

Gilligan:
A Giant Clam from one of our dives on Kosrae, F.S.M.

2.jpg

Cool

OMG, I love these things, It is just a shame that something so beautiful can be so delicious.

Tell us about the Tridacnia farm, what were they farming them for, to restock the reef, or for market sale??

I know they are a very traditional food source in polynesia, how is it in Micronesia?

OMG...what an awesome picture...the colors are really nice. thanks and keep them coming. As you all see he gives us 1-2 pictures a day to keep us in suspense!

cancun mark:
OMG, I love these things, It is just a shame that something so beautiful can be so delicious.

Tell us about the Tridacnia farm, what were they farming them for, to restock the reef, or for market sale??

I know they are a very traditional food source in polynesia, how is it in Micronesia?

The Giant Clam Farm on Kosrae sells the clams when they are one year old. The locals in turn plant them in the ocean in cages until they are two years old and measure approx. 5 to 6" at which time they harvest them for food.
The Farm also places some of the clams on the reef not too be harvested. Our guide worked at the farm so he knew where the larger ones were located.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Gilligan:
The Farm also places some of the clams on the reef not too be harvested. Our guide worked at the farm so he knew where the larger ones were located.
That's nice. What a fun job these people must have.

Gilligan:
The Giant Clam Farm on Kosrae sells the clams when they are one year old. The locals in turn plant them in the ocean in cages until they are two years old and measure approx. 5 to 6" at which time they harvest them for food.

Thats cool, I know that they were starting to resurrect the more traditional form of clam management in Tonga, Samoa and Fiji over the last fifteen years.

The villagers would collect a stack of the largest clams they could find, then place them in plain view on the reef in front of the village, not to be harvested. This meant that they were guarded by the whole village and created a constant flow of spats, seeding the local area near the village.

This concept was called the "grandfather" method of sustaining the population, in fact when they started it up in Samoa again, they actually spelled out the word with the clams...

The other advantage of having this resource in front of the village is that in times of extreem hardship or potential starvation (during hurricanes etc) they could use it as an emergency food source.

Personally I think we have a HUGE amount to learn from traditional resource management techniques such as these. Few people know it, but Polynesia had a higher population before European contact than it does now, which makes you wonder why there are sustainability problems. If you look at the loss of intensive farming techniques like this one and others like terracing hilsides to farm Taro, its no wonder we are having problems.

JM2C

Back
Top Bottom