Gilboa Quarry in January...Invitation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I might make it up. I'm a huge wimp, but if we can hang out up in the bath house I might go...

Rachel

Hey Rachel, please! You have a drysuit and are better than I am air consumption. Maybe you could even come up with some more of your interesting sign language, LOL.

Diver Lori:
Nothing set in stone yet, but that's the tentative day for bringing the tree up. May be a few more lunatics there as well. Not sure if I'm going to be there or not.....last year there was several inches of snow on the ground and platforms! I had to crawl out on my hands and knees. There was a fellow ahead of me on the platform who did a perfect.....slip, slide, spin, stumble and ker-splash back into the water. After witnessing that......I went for the knees.

Make sure the old tree gets stored away properly, just in case Slimmy hasn't got the concrete mixing thang sorted out by next November. I'm really sorry I'll miss it again. Have to be in Mexico. Dang!

But I'll see y'all at the St.Paddy's Day event I hope.

JohnF

I guess I need to go through my gear bag, toss out the warm water stuff from our trip to Florida at Thanksgiving and find all my warm thermal stuff for my drysuit. Got a new regulator bag from my daughter for Christmas, one more bag to keep track of I supposed.

I look forward to seeing you all. Dave and I should be at the office right around 10:00 or so, and are planning at least two dives (I'll bring all three tanks I guess). We'll be in my black '95 Dodge Ram with the topper on. It has a Black John Deere tag on the front and an Ocean Quest sticker on the window behind the drivers door. Easy to find.

This'll be my last dive for at least two months, as I'm going in for the lasik procedure in January and need to give it some time to heal before I get back in the water....

Rachel, I'll bring along an 'extra' pair of fins just in case!!!!

Brian, I look forward to seeing you again and meeting your 'wet suited' buddy who is willing to dive this time of year!

Dive carefully kids, we'll see you at the quarry!!!

I'm out, sorry kids, going to visit my sister for NYE and a few days after. I'll be around though, let me know the big diving gig.

Have fun and stay not freezing!

Rachel

biscuit7:
I'm out, sorry kids, going to visit my sister for NYE and a few days after.

Nanny nanny boo boo, I gots me some Biscuit7 and you don't.

Not going to be able to make it this time. Blew out a drysuit neck seal getting geared up for the New Year's Day dive at Gilboa. At least I got to enjoy the chili.

Hope the weather holds for you guys. It was in the mid 40's for us.

An important note though for all you attending Saturday:
Starting Jan 2nd, a $50 winter season pass is required to dive from Jan to April 30th. This is the only way he can afford to keep the place available for diving in the winter time. If he doesn't get enough interest this year, he probably won't be open next winter.

Check out the Gilboa site for other 2004 rate changes. www.divegilboa.com

wb416:
Not going to be able to make it this time. Blew out a drysuit neck seal getting geared up for the New Year's Day dive at Gilboa. At least I got to enjoy the chili.

Hope the weather holds for you guys. It was in the mid 40's for us.

An important note though for all you attending Saturday:
Starting Jan 2nd, a $50 winter season pass is required to dive from Jan to April 30th. This is the only way he can afford to keep the place available for diving in the winter time. If he doesn't get enough interest this year, he probably won't be open next winter.

Check out the Gilboa site for other 2004 rate changes. www.divegilboa.com

Well, I was going to dive tomarrow but not now. See you all in May. Well, maybe!

This is what it says on the web site...

Starting Jan 2nd, a $50 Winter Season Pass will be required to dive from Jan 2nd - April 30th. This will help us to keep the quarry open and available for you to dive during the winter months.
(New Rates....)

Please call ahead in the winter
to verify staffing, especially for night or weekday diving.

Even if I was willing to drop $150 tomarrow (I have three) I can only dive on weekends so I would need guaranteed access on Saturdays and Sundays.

It kind of shoots teaching the occasional class in the winter also since I don't think I could get a students to buy a pass to do say a dry suit, nitrox or part of an advanced nitrox class. Oh, and the call ahead thing would be a little inconvenient for scheduling a class.

...and here is my thoughts on the matter. I'll shell out $60-75 to make two dives off a boat here in the Great Lakes, or down in the Islands and not give it a second thought. The diving at Gilboa CAN be as good as many of the boat dives I made in the Keys over Thanksgiving, and certainly deeper. The folks at Gilboa are entitled to a 'living wage' and if this is the price I pay to make a couple dives and keep them in chow through the winter, so be it. It's a small price to pay.

So, I'll pony up the $50 and make two or three dives on Saturday and start my diving season in early January. I may even make it back down in March and dive again for my $50, and be ahead of the curve.

Hope this doesn't keep some of you others from meeting us at the Quarry....

Back
Top Bottom