Gilboa Quarry in January...Invitation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's certainly a valid choice. I've spent lots of money there. The people I've brought with me have spent lots there. I like the quarry and I like Mike. I hope he does well but no one is entitled to anything. I owned a dive shop and lost my life savings, I know. A pretty good chunk went to Mike, BTW.

As much as I like Mike and Gilboa it appears that I can no longer afford his services. For the cost and convenience it just doesn't meet my needs. That's the risk in any business dicession.

Have a good dive all

MikeFerrara:
Well, that's certainly a valid choice. I've spent lots of money there. The people I've brought with me have spent lots there. I like the quarry and I like Mike. I hope he does well but no one is entitled to anything. I owned a dive shop and lost my life savings, I know. A pretty good chunk went to Mike, BTW.

As much as I like Mike and Gilboa it appears that I can no longer afford his services. For the cost and convenience it just doesn't meet my needs. That's the risk in any business dicession.

Have a good dive all

Since I only live about an hour away, it's still a good choice for me, especially since he dropped the pass by $25 from last year's price and made the season longer to "break even". It's also the only water I can get into between 1/1 and 4/1 (Whitestar is closed then.)

bob

wb416:
Since I only live about an hour away, it's still a good choice for me, especially since he dropped the pass by $25 from last year's price and made the season longer to "break even". It's also the only water I can get into between 1/1 and 4/1 (Whitestar is closed then.)

bob

I got passes for my wife and son once and wouldn't you know it we didn't hardly get there to use em.

At most I'd get there maybe one other time before the end of April unless I have students and then I don't pay. I just don't get there enough to buy a pass especially with three of us.

I haven't even been running classes because it won't pay for my gass and DM expenses. The dive business stinks here. It's seasonal, few dive, most want to dive the Caribbean, the expenses are high and the selling price low.
You know what they say? If you want to make a small fortune in the dive business, start with a big one. It worked for me. LOL

Like my buddy Tom said, it is less than a boat dive.

And just where are you going to get a boat dive in January?
Not in Michigan or Ohio (that I know of).

This is no problem and will probably provide me with more incentive to get down to Gilboa more often this winter. Which is why I bought a drysuit anyway, to expand my dive season to a full 12 months.

See you at 7am tomorrow Tom.

I had spoken to Mike the last time that I dived there. I am with Tom in that I spend $125 or better for a boat trip that lasts one day. Fifty dollars is a small price to pay for about the only place that I have to stay proficient in my deep skills in the winter (sorry guys, I am a wimp about overhead environments so ice diving is OUT).

By the way, my dive buddy is feeling under the weather, so I am only bringing myself. I'll see anybody that is showing up down there with my digital camera. Maybe we can post some pics in the thread that show what a good time everybody missed, LOL.

hey mike if you dont want to spend the money fine but it sounds to me like you want something for all the money you have spent there..and some people are entitled to something when they are providing a service which mike is doing by the way..sorry about your life savings and all but dont blame mike for taking some of it for providing a service..guys il be there tommorow with my digital as well hope you dont mind me diving with you and all..see ya tommorow..$50 is peanuts to dive there for the winter..

snuggle:
hey mike if you dont want to spend the money fine but it sounds to me like you want something for all the money you have spent there..and some people are entitled to something when they are providing a service which mike is doing by the way..sorry about your life savings and all but dont blame mike for taking some of it for providing a service..guys il be there tommorow with my digital as well hope you dont mind me diving with you and all..see ya tommorow..$50 is peanuts to dive there for the winter..

I see you there! I hope that we have good weather. Is anyone bringing "after-dive beverages"?

snuggle:

I didn't ask any one for anything. He's running a business and charging what he needs to and I can't afford it.

Where did I blame Mike for anything? I've paid cash money for everything I've gotten from Mike or any one else.

I'm more than happy to pay to dive there. I'm just not in a position to pay whether I dive or not.

$50 wasn't peanuts when you called me looking for cheap equipment Mr. Money bags.

snuggle:

If you go back and read more carefully you'll see that my point was that I understand what it's like to have a tough time in this business not that he owed me anything.

MikeFerrara:
If you go back and read more carefully you'll see that my point was that I understand what it's like to have a tough time in this business not that he owed me anything.

Well, $50 seems like a lot at first, and maybe it is... but atleast its not as B.S. as Lake Rawlings trying to impose a $300 fine for having a dive knife.

Back
Top Bottom