Gilboa vs. Dutch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzandiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,
I am just curious about a comparison between Gilboa and Dutch Springs? I was at Gilboa last week for the first time with a newly certified diver and must say I was impressed. The staff was very friendly, camping was fun and easy, and the diving was better than I expected from a quarry. I would definatly drive the 4 1/2 hours again to visit this quarry. I live just outside of Pittsburgh and Dutch Springs is also around 4 1/2 hours to the East and wanted to know if it was worth driving that direction or just head back to Ohio. I believe Gilboa will be a hard quarry to beat but again I have never been to Dutch so just looking for opinions.

Thanks, Jon

I have yet to go to Gilboa but have been to dutch many times. It is a very nice, clean place. From what I have heard from people that have been to both they say Dutch is defiently the better of the two. You could also look at the website Dutch Springs. I do know that the DIve DNY group that fequently dives at dutch and a lot of other places was recently up at Gilboa and sure some them will share there experince and opinons on both

Have been going to Dutch my whole life and went out to Gilboa twice last year while at school. Definitely things I liked about both. Gilboa has better attractions and the fact they are, for the most part, still intact make them more exciting. There is also the deep side which Dutch can't match, and I think besides the koi at Dutch Gilboa has more exciting fish life. Sitting on the top of the bus and being swarmed by fish was one of the coolest things ever. Gilboa is also had a more laid back atmosphere, similar to that of Dutch 10 years ago before the aqua park and such.

With that said what Dutch has over Gilboa is size. Where I felt like I saw everything at Gilboa in a few dives I still haven't covered all of Dutch, though this sometime means some long swims.

Overall, I think both are great dive sites. Because of the amount of time I've spent there I'm definitely biased towards Dutch but Gilboa is worth a few trips. In the long run though Dutch is more of a place you can keep going back to and still get in interesting dives without getting bored.

Thanks acxc & shady,
I will try Dutch next week, from looking at the website it looks alot bigger than Gilboa and like you I have seen all the attractions in just a few dives. I definatly will dive Gilboa again but just wanted to get an idea if it was worth the drive East for some new excitement.

Thanks again, Jon

The nice thing about dutch other then mentioned is the facilities are clean. They have heat/ac and have showers. If you have a choice go on the peninsula side its nicer.

Wondering............

Is the admission waived at Gilboa for Instructors like at Dutch Springs?

I'm pretty sure I read something that if you bring a class to Gilboa with proof of insurance then the instructor is FREE.

Dutch is more crowded and commercialized, more staff & rules, 2 bath houses, concession stand, gift store, aqua park, challenge area (climbing wall and ropes setup) Koi, more attractions and platforms, 2 big setup areas (peninsula to the right and Student to the left) including picnic tables, multiple entrances with setup platforms on each side. Student side has closer parking to setup area. Peninsula is strictly drop off and park up in lot.

Gilboa is smaller and less crowded, more primitive and prettier in a way, they have paddlefish, or so I hear, cheaper entrance fee, did not notice lifeguard lookouts or people on the water, could have been though. I did not do the deep side so unable to comment there. Gilboa's setup area on the water is handy to leave gear, everyone walks gear back to setup area between dives at Dutch. Loved the tubes :D

Both have gas on site and super friendly and helpful staff. I have personally experienced staff at both locations going waaaay out of their way to help with a "special" request. Viz at Gilboa was an average of Dutch on its best and worst days, decent amount of variability at Dutch, depending on location of dive, time of season, etc. Temps about the same.

DNY is almost always there and they post threads each weekend so people can plan to meetup. I heard a rumor that tours to out of towners can sometimes be arranged :wink:

Donna

I heard a rumor that tours to out of towners can sometimes be arranged :wink:

Donna

Out of country'ers too :D

Back
Top Bottom