Gili Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigertail

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend the "Gili Islands" for diving this time of year?
Places to stay, value for money, etc.
We are two diving instructors, looking for a challenge and something a bit different from Thailand. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Diving_is_pretty_rubbish_all_the_coral_is_dead_saw_2_white_tips_and_40_minutes_of_dead_coral_also_expensive._I_would_try_nusa_lembogan_some_good_drift_dives_have_mantas_and_coral_still_ok_a_lot_quiter_cheaper

The_other_thing_about_the_gilis_is_the_hassling_by_locals_about_20_times_worse_then_thailand_u_want_e_hash_magic_mushrooms_pot_just_goes_on_about_20_times_a_day_even after we were there for a week very annoying.

Thanks for the info here.
Hmm - no wonder no one replied to me any earlier!
So it's really that bad.
Been already to Lembongen Island and around Bali so perhaps another estination is a must.
Cheers!

The normal Gilli Trawangan, Air, Meno are not adrenalin rush dives. A very calm site.

Much of the reef is dead, but not all. West side Trawangan is OK with a few sharks and mantas.

Turtle Point has turtles, but reef is not healthy and dead brown.

If I remember correctly they have some coral mounds with active cleaning stations on the island closest to the mainland. This site has lots of macro stuff.

Perhaps go back to Bali and dive Secret Bay, Tulamben, Candidasa, Seraya.

Was told by a group that just got back from Bali about a small family of mimic octopus was found. Want more info about this contact Bali Scuba.

I did a few dives from Trawangan - OK, pleasant, but nothing special...

You could catch a flight to Labuan Bajo, on Flores (around $US 50 or so), and do some diving from there - really nice! I did a trip report on diving in the Komodo N.P a few weeks ago - do a search for some more info... Have fun.

Cheers, for all of the info everyone - think we might go to Komodo or perhaps Sipadan as it's closing for staying on the island soon. Will have a few beers tonight and decide! Thanks-again.

try this place bunnaken island north sulawesi is pretty close to where you are now
i think froggies is a good dive centre reef wins awards as most diverse and pristine

Don't bother with the gilis. if you want a challenge and you are nearby, head to lombok and dive the "south lombok project". Insist on diving the "magnet" which is an underwater pinnacle. The entry into water can be high adrenaline... our dm asked as to perform negative (buoyancy) entry and kick hard inverted until you get past the izzing foam and hopefully meet up at 5m. Then you get harsh currents whipping around the pinnacle but you are rewarded with hammerheads, fantastic coral and the rest. Apparently the hammerheads school around there but we only saw 1.

there aren't that many divesites around there so you could probably do them all in a couple of days. I can't remember the dive centre that goes out there but only 1 has permission to dive it as its private. I'll dig out the info if you want so send me PM..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom