Gillis and Lembogan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BatfishCrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, I’ve been through the existing threads and couldn’t find any advice on dive outfits in the Gillis and Lembogan, so hoping for some help. I will be travelling in early October with my husband and 11YO son. although my son has only been certified earlier this year, he is a strong swimmer and a competent diver. We shore dive around Sydney so he is used to diving in not perfect tropical conditions. He will have over 50 dives by the time we get there. I have 2 questions…

1. Will there be enough sites he can do in Lembogan?

2. What dive outfits do people recommend for the Gillis and Lembogan? Like more personal centers which have good local knowledge, are professionally run with a real focus on safety - not asking for much 🤣

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I’ve been through the existing threads and couldn’t find any advice on dive outfits in the Gillis and Lembogan, so hoping for some help. I will be travelling in early October with my husband and 11YO son. although my son has only been certified earlier this year, he is a strong swimmer and a competent diver. We shore dive around Sydney so he is used to diving in not perfect tropical conditions. He will have over 50 dives by the time we get there. I have 2 questions…

1. Will there be enough sites he can do in Lembogan?

2. What dive outfits do people recommend for the Gillis and Lembogan? Like more personal centers which have good local knowledge, are professionally run with a real focus on safety - not asking for much 🤣

Thanks!

Crystal Bay is freezingly cold in early October, it’s like have a cold shower in winter. You should wear 3mm wetsuit at least.

I'm in Lembongan with my 13yo. He's had I think 40-50 dives, and still I feel the cold + super duper strong currents + low viz combo has been a real challenge. In hindsight, we should have gone to Amed.

Headed to Gili next and will let you know how it goes. From what I've heard, the diving isn't as good, but maybe it wouldn't bother new divers as much.

We're doing marine conservation courses with Blue Corner and Gili Eco Trust. GET in particular seems extra good with teaching kids. BC is geared toward adult divers.

My wife and I first did Nusa Lembongan with less dives that that and there were plenty of sites accessible to us. Note that in October the water temp is likely to be similar to what you are used to in Sydney (down to 18 degrees is possible, I've certainly experienced it more than once in Bali). I recently did it in my 5mm wetsuit and would not want to do it in 3mm. We have used World Diving Lembongan and Lembongan Dive Centre in the past. We were happy with both, but this was some years ago.

I'm in Lembongan with my 13yo. He's had I think 40-50 dives, and still I feel the cold + super duper strong currents + low viz combo has been a real challenge. In hindsight, we should have gone to Amed.

Headed to Gili next and will let you know how it goes. From what I've heard, the diving isn't as good, but maybe it wouldn't bother new divers as much.

We're doing marine conservation courses with Blue Corner and Gili Eco Trust. GET in particular seems extra good with teaching kids. BC is geared toward adult divers.
Thanks Dan. Did you son get used to the conditions around Pernida? It’s making me have second thoughts about that… I think my son has had about the same number. We dive in Sydney and he finds the 22 ave temps too cold. also, how did you go in the Gillis and who did you dive with? Diving isn’t amazing, but we are always just happy to get into the water!

If you are staying in the North end of Gili Trawangan you can check out Lutwala Dive. It is the quiet end of the island and they are farther from the bustling pier. Halik in the north was also my favorite site. They also focus on smaller groups. If you find yourself closer to the town center I can recommend Blue Marlin.

Gili Air as an island will be a lot quieter to stay but they still take you to Gili Trawangan to do most of the diving.

Back
Top Bottom