Glowsticks on night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like them, I think they take away from the darkness. I don't like torches either. A full moon underwater is the best light for me, I love being under there and feeling like I am NOT a diver, ya know... more natural feeling. Although, if I have a student underwater at night they better have one or more.

you ever go on a nite dive lightless???

Yeah. I've done a night dive on the Oriskany without one. It's pretty cool actually! :D

Edit: like NetDoc said below, Lightless to me meant not turning it on.

Last edited:
OK--then I guess some dive operations have it all wrong.......glad you know more than them....so this thing is unsafe to the environment--that's good info to have....guess you better get rid of your dive lights too
As for the environment, I was obviously referring to glo sticks! :D But yeah, I abhor having to dive with them and around them no matter how many dive shops use them. It's a personal preference and the OP asked for our opinions.
---you ever go on a nite dive lightless???
Not since the 70s. However, quite often I don't turn them on. :D I would not want to be floating away from the boat without some means of signalling them, or almost being run over by another boat who is not looking for cutsie glo sticks in the water! i am actually surprised when charters let people do a night dive with LESS than two operational lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom