Question Night Diving with a Beacon?

How often do you night dive with some sort of beacon attached to your tank?

• Never

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Always

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Sometimes, depending upon conditions/site

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use really small slow led flashers, they are so dim you don't see them unless you are looking for them. There are four colors and five of us, so my wife and I use one color and each of the kids has a unique color. They are twist on twist off.

we use a couple glotoob FX hung from our tank necks. Our local spot is sometimes busy, so there can be lights spread out all over. It makes it a little easier to see/differentiate my wife/me when we're facing away from the other. they take a weird battery, but they're easily ordered, to keep spares on hand. Overall, not necessary, and I wouldn't not dive if we forgot them, but kinda nice to have.

When I do a night dive with an operator who requires it, I dive with one of these from Dive Gear Express. It is constant glow, not flashing and is not overly bright. The battery lasts a very long time.

We've a couple of similar no-name-chinesium ones and use them in high-traffic places like Bonaire's Bari Reef. They're different enough to be identifiable and not so bright as to ruin anyone's night vision.
When there's nobody else around I too prefer the no light/red torch option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom