Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 8.4%
  • 30-39

Votes: 153 15.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 199 20.5%
  • 50-59

Votes: 231 23.8%
  • 60-69

Votes: 213 22.0%
  • 70-79

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 80-89

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next month I turn 70 and go from 21.7% to 7.7%.
It's a slow climb to 8% , I want to be in the .5% small crowd, a few here will raise that number in 4-6 years to .8-1% [or more].
'Go you good thing' fellow septuagenarians. :checkbox:

Off to the gym, must stay 'match fit' , back diving next week, 6 weeks off was hell, it keeps me [almost] sane.:wink:

64. Started on 2014, 927 dives (134 ice dives). Started with CCR a year ago, now about 70 dives with it.

64, started in 2004, 584 dives

There’s another thread about old fart divers over 50, which spurred the question about the possibility of most of the divers on SB being over 50.
So I’m just curious to see what the age makeup of divers is here.
You can elaborate if you wish about age, how long you’ve been certified, how many dives, what type of diving, any other details you have to make it interesting and a good read.
You’re supposed to write that part in. Don’t get lazy on me now old man!
69...certified over 25 years ago. Sadly, no opportunity to dive in the past 7 years.

Just turned 68. About 800 lifetime dives. Started on a pony and regulator when I was 5 at the YMCA pool and Lake George NY. My Dad made his own wetsuits by cutting and gluing neoprene sheet. PADI cert in 76. AOW in 87. Still diving... My son is 30 and has a few hundred dives. He started at 12. It' been a great ride and it's not over yet.
I'm 69 and got my NAUI Cert in 1976 and there was no turning back. I love Lake George. Spent some time there in 1986 testing at International Paper. Stayed at a place called the Trout House if I remember correctly and there was a Bar just up the road called The Dugout I believe. Great little place to toss a few. Anyway, Keep Diving Brother ....

55, certified initially PADI in 1991. I rarely dive....

Certified in 1984. Logged the first 600 dives before my ex took the laptop that had my log on it. there were 600-odd dives on that log. I asked her to give me that data but she said, "sorry, I deleted everything". ... which tracked. That was the reason we broke up. ... aside from the fact that she would have sex with any guy who could get her pants off.... and THAT wasn't very hard at ALL ...

But I digress ... Do I sound bitter? I think I sound bitter.

Back to diving: I started a new log in 1990. Made another 540 dives up to 1996.

Lost that log too because I dropped everything and went on "walk about" over the globe. I went "left" over the globe and then "right" over the globe and ended up where I am now. After 1996 I made a new log with about 200 dives so I could become a PADI instructor. After the number required to take some technical specialties, between 2002 and 2014 I made a royal ****-tonne of dives.

Since about 2017 I stopped giving lessons and just focused on my own dives. Since that time I've been doing about 50-60 dives a year.

Added all up, I'm not sure. 2000? 25000? less than that is unlikely. As for the question the OP posed, I've been certified -- and ACTIVE -- for 40 years.

56, been certified for 4 years now with about 50'ish dives

59 yo, first certification was in 1978 but did not start seriously to scuba dive until 1996.
Diving CCR since 2007.
Typically one dive per week and a liveaboard every year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom