Going back after a couple years.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wanted to confirm the current process for going into Bonaire.

1. Pay a $75 dollar entry fee - where do we show that (Is this a new line at the airport) and paper copies or phone better?
2. Marine Park fee $45 - show at where you are staying I assume.
3. No COVID type paperwork needed? I remember a line where I had to show vax records and testing etc last time I was there.

Super excited - Wife randomly found good airline deals right before Christmas and we will be there 12-18 to 12-25

Picked Buddy Dive because I have heard Captain Dons is a train wreck for parking and they took down the bungalows. Even though they were dated and beat up I still loved them.

Buddy Dive specific questions -

I think last time they picked us up at the airport - I sent them a note to confirm.
How do they handle dive lockers? I want to think they gave me a lock a long time ago - but maybe I just bring one.

Homerdoc.

1- yes. Use Bonaire Visitor Tax Official Page. You will get a QR code to show.
2 - yes.
3 - nothing anymore.
You check in at the dive shop and they give you a locker number and key. I take my own cmall combonation lock so I don't have to carry a key around.

I thought Capt Don's saved 1 bungalow and the new units look very nice.

Thanks for the responses -

Tkaelin - don't take my post as gospel - I got my "facts" from tripadvisor.

I love Captain Don's it was just way easier to book Buddy Dive - (I have been to both) - and they were starting construction last time I was at Captain Dons and I had to park across the road several times (this is 2020ish). When I saw more parking drama I didnt want anything to do with it.

Buddy Dive will pick you up at the airport if they know your flight number and arrival time. One small pet peeve I have with them is that if you arrive in the evening, they are reluctant to give you your rental truck until the next morning, which means dinner plans have to be within walking distance.

Some BS about not being able to inspect the vehicle in the dark.

Had a development come up - wife had to get a melanoma removed off her arm early November - its like a silver dollar size wound.

Dr says she can dive - we were thinking about the practicality of that - she normally dives a full 5mm - its on her forearm and we were going to take a shorty and cover it with cling wrap?

Anyone have any experience here? Should I post this question somewhere else?

We are going regardless - she says she is good painting and working out at the gym across the street if diving doesn't work out.

My lunar checks say no jellyfish, nor ostracods while we are there. Yeah on the first, bummer on the second.

Will post a trip report after the visit.

My lunar checks say no jellyfish, nor ostracods while we are there. Yeah on the first, bummer on the second.
Look for ostracods anyway. They have been reported throughout the lunar month.

Packing today for a Monday flight - got all the forms filled out and fees paid.

I did have a question - it appears my families go to dive plan doesn't work with what's going on with the coral disease.

we normally - wife goes on a run, daughter and I dive house reef early in the am

Then go to a dive site somewhere as a family

Then do an afternoon boat dive -

If I look at the Map - that looks to be a red (buddy dive) - either orange or green - then to an orange or green. Will need to think about how to reconfigure.

It also says to fully dry gear after decontamination procedures - is that even possible? Most of the time my gear has stayed wet/damp the entire week until the day before where we either use an hair dryer or hot sun for extended periods.

Super excited for the visit - I looked down and looked at the trash can my wife painted for me of my favorite fishes from our last visits pictures for a Christmas present several years ago and got stoked.

Homerdoc

Attachments

• IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 26
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom