Going DM or Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lifesupport

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, all, I have been watching this forum but just now decided to create an account. I have started recreational diving 5y ago and it has quickly become my new passion. I try to fly somewhere to dive at least twice/year, basically all my finances started to revolve around planning and achieving these dive trips. I own my own gear, I dive when possible with my two kids one of which has high functioning autism. My current level is rescue, certified by PADI but I love a lot cavern/cave diving (although I only got a glimpse of that this year while diving in Mexico cenotes for 2 weeks). So I am also very interested in becoming cave certified. It is a big decision to be made, including from the financial point of view, as I am planning a 2 weeks trip in Egypt in November and in theory my next, natural step towards personal development, if I continue to recreational diving would be the DM course. On the other hand I did enjoy caverns and caves much more. I was wondering if those of you that have more experience could give me some advice. I really appreciate you all and this forum and Thank you all in advance!

Why do you feel the next "natural step in progression" is DM? Are you interested in working in the dive industry? If not, than DM is of minimal value. Two trips a year is hardly a fit to be a DM. If you want to expand your diving skills, there are many better options in the technical path.

As a DM I would say do your tech training. Tech will take you to a whole new level as a diver. Tech will make you a better diver, DM not necessarily.

Unless you intend to do something specific with your DM training (and paying the annual liability insurance that comes with it - currently $575 a year), then I think technical dive training is where you should be investing time and money.

DM is not the next progression in recreational scuba diving. It is the start of the professional certification path. I have had a few DMs that took the course with no intention of working as a DM, but I think money is better spent on other dive training, trips, or equipment unless you have specific goals for DM and maybe a desire to become an instructor.

I'm in a similar situation.

I would love to run away and join the SCUBA Circus, becoming an DM/Instructor, but my life does not currently allow that option.

In December, I will be travelling to Cozumel and pursuing training for Solo and Intro To Tech.

While I have been diving for a while with the mindset that every dive is a solo dive (with a buddy that I am responsible TO, but don't necessarily expect assistance from), I hope the formal training will help me to fill out gaps in my skills and give me the official option to dive solo with operators when advantageous.

Intro to Tech is a gateway to Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures (likely Helitrox if remotely affordable) for me. Even if I don't pursue more advanced (i.e. deeper/extended) Tech ratings, AN/DP will give me solid skills to either extend within nominal recreational range (lite deco) when appropriate, or maybe more importantly, be better to able to manage should things go sideways, beyond my control.

Personally, I think both of those skill-sets should be required before taking on the responsibility of accepting professional responsibility for others.

I’ve done both. They are very different so it depends upon your long-term goals.

DM is the first step into the dive industry as a professional. You will learn to be highly self-sufficient to the point where you can competently guide & supervise others. It is a required step before becoming an instructor.

In Tech training you will perfect your core skills, learn new ones, learn new concepts & use new equipment. The goal is to prepare you for more advanced, riskier diving that typically has some sort of a ‘ceiling’ be it due to a deco obligation, a cave or inside a wreck.

So choose the one that better aligns with your goals.

If you want to dive go tech, if you want to teach new people how to dive then go DM.

Still to become a good DM/instructor it wouldn’t hurt to atleast have some knowledge off propulsion, trim, …

Tech first if you are seriously considering cave diving. Being trained in Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures is required if you are going after a cave cert through NSS-CDS.

The vast majority of instructors out there have very limited knowledge and experience. The industry minimum standards to become a dive professional are remarkably low. I believe all DMs/Instructors should have some level of tech or cave training. Whether you are planning on becoming a professional or not, I would still highly recommend tech/cave first. It will give you a much greater range of knowledge and experience to draw from later as a professional. Start with GUE Fundamentals to build a solid platform to build on for tech/cave and a greater appreciation for excellent instruction and how to create solid divers.

I’d do tech first. As stated previously, you will become much more skilled and in control as a diver via a tech progression to full cave.

If you decide later that you want to be a DM for a shop or boat, go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom