Going DM or Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the other hand I did enjoy caverns and caves much more.
It seems like you've answered your own question. I'd recommend tech training over (and before) DM training. I'm of the belief that for most people, the quicker they can get initial tech training, the better.

Most people enter tech training with bad habits that have to be broken, and the less time you spend reinforcing those bad habits, the better.

Hello,

Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer, when I speak about natural progression I mean increasing my skills and knowledge. I do not necessarily plan to work in the dive industry, but I do plan to move in a country where diving is an option on a daily basis in the next two years and if an opportunity to guide would present itself I would give it a shot. What are the better options in the technical path you8 would recomand? Thanks
The truth is becoming a DM wont really make you a better diver nor give you more knowledge. If you want any of that find better instructors and do practice dives not just fun dives.

It appears as if the response to your question is borderline unanimous. That should make the message pretty clear.

Over the years, I have wondered why the standard posters showing how to progress in dive training focus on divemaster as the next step after rescue diver. I feel really stupid for wondering about that, because it finally occurred to me that the overwhelming majority of dive operations do not have the ability to teach those other classes. If those operations were to promote courses that they don't teach, well, that wouldn't be too smart, would it?

So when seeking advice on things like this, just remember that it will be an unusual professional who will tell you that your next multiple thousands of dollars in scuba training should go to someone else.

Here's a test for all divers who are approached about DM training. Usually the pitch is something like
"Hey, I see you are really passionate about this and you skills are pretty good. How'd you like to become a dive professional and take DM training with us? We think you'd make a great DM!"
Look them dead in the eye and say

"SURE!" How much are you going to pay me during and after training?"

Their response will tell you everything you need to know about what DM training is really about for them!

I'll also point out that most intro to tech or fundies types of courses arent particularly focused on tech or cave diving, they are mostly focused on efficiency and good basic techniques.

Hi, all, I have been watching this forum but just now decided to create an account. I have started recreational diving 5y ago and it has quickly become my new passion. I try to fly somewhere to dive at least twice/year, basically all my finances started to revolve around planning and achieving these dive trips. I own my own gear, I dive when possible with my two kids one of which has high functioning autism. My current level is rescue, certified by PADI but I love a lot cavern/cave diving (although I only got a glimpse of that this year while diving in Mexico cenotes for 2 weeks). So I am also very interested in becoming cave certified. It is a big decision to be made, including from the financial point of view, as I am planning a 2 weeks trip in Egypt in November and in theory my next, natural step towards personal development, if I continue to recreational diving would be the DM course. On the other hand I did enjoy caverns and caves much more. I was wondering if those of you that have more experience could give me some advice. I really appreciate you all and this forum and Thank you all in advance!
Here my modest contribution broke into steps:
1) If u wanna try to work in the industry go for the DM first, and start developing experience in teaching;
2) If you wanna try to work in the industry and you are passionate about cave (and u have money), do the DM and a fundy course (UTD, GUE etc) which is the fundamental piece to have before starting any tec course;
3) if u dont wanna work in the industry, go for tec/cave (preferably starting with a fundy);
4) if you wanna do both but don't have enough money, I would go for DM and try to save money for future tec courses. The tec path is quite expensive and you cant do it with your regular rec gear.

Partially true: what you learn in fundies are the most important skills that will be with you over the following tec courses.
Without proper trim or kick tecniques you wont do any real tec course (or if you pass it you would be a danger for yourself and buddies).
Besides that, for those who haven’t been exposes to a Tec-twinset configuration, fundies give you plenty of times to get use to it.
I'll also point out that most intro to tech or fundies types of courses arent particularly focused on tech or cave diving, they are mostly focused on efficiency and good basic techniques.

But still the majority of technical divers do it without a fundamentals course. I am not against it, but it is also not the holy grail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom