Going for a Divemaster certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned to become a NAUI dive master you have to also complete either the Skin Diving Instructor or Assistant Instructor class. (Most of the time Dive Master and one of the others can be done together; If you have aspire to be an instructor some day the skin diving instructor is a better option.) also as mentioned being an instructor makes you more valuable as an instructor can still be a DM on a boat, but also generate additional revenue teaching.

Lastly, If you are a NAUI rescue diver, you can actually skip Master Diver and jump right into the professional ranks by testing out of the Master Diver Class. (some self study to pass the written test - and depending on your insturctor maybe some additonal skills. If you are using the same instructor as your rescue class, they may know if you are ready or not, or can add the drills as part of your rescue class.)

One nice thing about NAUI is there's a little more freedom to teach area or roll specific skills while still keeping to the standards. And you can then become and independant instructor, and not be associated with a store. In a land of Padi shops, being the only NAUI guy around may have its advantages at some point.

Goingdrinkn had some good points!

The PADI course is not easy if it's done right. I'm 29, in good shape, and I have a graduate degree in education. I did not consider the course easy. If you are fat, cannot swim, or are not very bright you will not make it. I know you are not any of those things, but I felt like the DM course was the first course in diving in which I had to place real effort. Some people dive for years and never get their DM. It does make life easier too, I never have trouble finding a dive buddy, my opinion magically became more valid on scubaboard, and I get in most places for free.

I also (more importantly) get to shape (in small ways) certified divers and make them safer. That's what does it for me. Well that and the decoder ring...

As mentioned to become a NAUI dive master you have to also complete either the Skin Diving Instructor or Assistant Instructor class. (Most of the time Dive Master and one of the others can be done together; If you have aspire to be an instructor some day the skin diving instructor is a better option.) also as mentioned being an instructor makes you more valuable as an instructor can still be a DM on a boat, but also generate additional revenue teaching.

Technically according to the NAUI S&Ps, Assistant Instructor is only a preferred minimum which doesn't really make sense. There is no actual requirement that somebody be an AI or SI prior to enrolling in a NAUI DM class. Of course, an instructor may choose to make AI or SI a prerequisite for their particular DM class.

Lastly, If you are a NAUI rescue diver, you can actually skip Master Diver and jump right into the professional ranks by testing out of the Master Diver Class. (some self study to pass the written test - and depending on your insturctor maybe some additonal skills. If you are using the same instructor as your rescue class, they may know if you are ready or not, or can add the drills as part of your rescue class.)

This is true, you can test out of the Master Diver certification. There is a lot to be learned and quite a few dives of varying task to be done during a Master Diver class though.

One nice thing about NAUI is there's a little more freedom to teach area or roll specific skills while still keeping to the standards. And you can then become and independant instructor, and not be associated with a store. In a land of Padi shops, being the only NAUI guy around may have its advantages at some point.

Which is why some instructors may require AI or SI cert before accepting a student into the DM class.

Does the original poster have as many dives completed as listed on their profile? I certainly hope they have more than just 25-49 dives if they're truly interested in becoming a DM.

Does the original poster have as many dives completed as listed on their profile? I certainly hope they have more than just 25-49 dives if they're truly interested in becoming a DM.

Even if he does, if it gives him something to strive toward, good on him. You and I both know he won't make it if he does not meet the standards, so it's really self-correcting.

Yeah, I should clarify my statement. I hope they have more than just 49 dives if they plan on becoming a DM in the near future. There is certainly nothing wrong with deciding early on in your diving career that you'd like to be a DM.

I'm not sure about Naui or Padi but SSI offers cross-over certification for a DM to become a DiveCon. It should not be hard to take a cross over class once you get your experience.

The agency won't make you a better diver/DM but experience will. Consider your options and do whats right for you now. If and when you move you can always look for an agency shop or cross over.

Even if he does, if it gives him something to strive toward, good on him. You and I both know he won't make it if he does not meet the standards, so it's really self-correcting.

Well, I'm sorry to say that it is true that I only have 36 dives as of right now...I'm not rich by any means and the only way to dive where I live is by charter boat, which gets very expensive very quickly as you may imagine.

...And no, I do not plan on becoming a DM until I get into the 70-80 dive range at least, so I will have to wait a couple more years bare minimum in order to rack up the necessary quantity to complete my certification prerequisites as well as to prepare myself for the course in general. However, it gives me something to look forward to...a goal to be achieved.

In the mean time I was hoping to get a NAUI Master Diver rating, perhaps a couple specialties, and a few buddies to go diving with regularly (I am, sadly, a very lonely diver with no friends that share in my love of the sport :depressed:).

Last edited:
How about a part time job at a LDS. You'll put a little bit of money in your pocket and the owner may feel pity on you and occasionally give you a bonus of a free trip (more than likely not, but you never know). The experience in the LDS will help when you do become a DM.

You could also go to the docks and hit up the dive boat owners to see if they need any miscellaneous jobs done, i.e washing the boat, hauling tanks, gopher, or whatever in exchange for a trip. It never hurts to ask.

Just a few suggestions.

d-e

it may be worth making a trip out of doing your DM, i am i love to dive and am heading o/s to have a holiday and enjoy some diving whilst getting some more training, might be worth looking into?

beaing a teacher is a great profession especially getting a break! i concur with not being in it for cash but if it reduces living expenses( with diving being an important part of your life) then you will, at the end of the day have more money..just a thought

About half of the "logged" dives in my log book were involved in helping supervise ow students during my DM internship. I was out there with classes almost every Saturday and Sunday for two months.

You probably won't get paid and the dives may not be exciting, but you will get to log a lot dives and learn quite a bit about all the different things that OW and AOW students can do. Once I actually had to assist a panicked diver on the surface. As a DM candidate assisting with classes, you won't pay for air or entrance/boat fees.

Some people take a year or so to complete PADI DM under the internship. You could easily get a couple of hundred dives that way alone before you complete DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom