Going for a Divemaster certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question?

Does 60 dives make anyone feel they are qualified to be a divemaster?

Question?

According to me, no way.

I felt okay to do the Rescue Course when I had ca. 140 dives and started my DM internship (during which I did 111 (real) dives) with 220 dives..
I think if I had started one of those two courses with just 60 dives, it would have been more of a waste than anything else..

Just my two bar..

Question?

I'll probably be getting my certification around 100 dives (started the program a couple weeks ago at 40). It will take me around 6 months, during which I'll be using every available pool session to practice, running emergency drills with my buddy on "fun" dives, and working on the certification requirements. I believe I will be qualified at that point, but more importantly after seeing the way the program is run, I think people who are not qualified will not be certified until they are. It would be difficult to do in 60 dives, but if someone is exceptionally mature, intelligent, a fast learner, and already familiar with emergency procedures (an EMT or medical professional), I could see someone begin able to handle it.

The core roles of a DiveMaster are varied but limited: assisting an instructor during courses, providing logistics/general planning/extra safety to certified divers, and conducting a small set of DiveMaster programs with either certified divers or non-scuba activities. There's a great (although very long) thread about the role of a DiveMaster. See my views on it here (my post is towards the end, you may want to read back): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...vemaster-responsibilities-29.html#post4449607. What I took away from other comments in the thread is that there are unrealistic expectations of what a DiveMaster can be responsible for--some went so far as to say a DiveMaster should be completely responsible for the safety of all divers on a dive, even certified divers who elect to leave him. If that is the bar, no amount of experience or education will allow someone to be successful--it's impossible. The only way to eliminate all risk from diving is not to dive.

I think kilo_fox seems to have had the self-knowledge to determine the right time to embark on new certification levels. I think if most people step back and assess their own abilities realistically, they can figure it out. If people are wrong and start too early, it will just mean they'll either: 1) take longer (accumulating more dives in the process) until they get to the experience level they need, or 2) realize they cannot or don't want to do it now and either do it later or not at all. Either way, only the most exceptional will be able to complete such a difficult course with only the minimum requirements.

I believe that the certification process would weed out those who are not mature or capable enough, regardless of dive count. If not, local dive shops and charter operators would further screen candidates to represent them to limit their liability, limiting the impact of such certification failures. So long answer short, I think some candidates could be effective Dive Masters with 60 dives, but would expect nearly everyone would need more experience to be sufficiently comfortable, capable, and confident to complete the program.

Question?

A friend of mine who is another teacher went from OW to instructor in 6 months, and he is an amazing teacher. If you are good, then you are good. I have seen people with 60 dives who were great, and people with hundreds who were terrible. Yesterday I DM'd an AOW class where the guy had been OW certified (and diving) for 20 years. I showed him some stuff that was new to him (like SAC rate). Dive count is not the only thing that matters. Didactic ability and real skill matter. I, in turn, learned some great stuff from him. I'd take Mark as an instructor over some of the ones who have taught me along the way any day.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom