going on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on my way wanda

Registered
Reaction score
I am going on a liveaboard in British Columbia shortly does any of the ontario fresh water freaks have any advice for me since this my first time on a liveaboard and being in B.C. :wink:

I went on a liveaboard in 2002 out of Vancouver. It was my first liveaboard as well as a first for a few others in my group.
Firstly, on the LA, they assumed people had been on them before and knew what the routine was. We hadn't, so we didn't. The actual dives were not as organized as we were used to. It was more like a free-for-all getting in the water. We were not expecting to do free ascents but instead, navigate back to the anchor line. This is how we did it but other divers (they happened to be American) were getting ticked at having to underwater navigate. They wanted to surface whereever and be picked up so we eventually did it that way.
Secondly, we were not familiar with diving from a secondary boat. This being the case, we were not completely suited up for the ride out to the divesite and as a result we got soaked since our drysuits were not done up. There were several crew on this little boat that could have at least mentioned what the ride was going to be like. We were used to getting a 10 min warning for the location and then gearing up.
Take earplugs if there's a chance your cabin is next to the engine.

Hmmm... That's all I can think of right now.

Diverlady

Is the Browning Wall out from Vancouver?Is that where you are going? I envy you!

Hi Wanda, sounds awesome. BC is a the top of my list to dive, every picture I have seen makes me jealous.

Hope every thing goes well, and I think you have a dry suit which will be a definate plus out there.

Have Fun
Gary

on my way wanda once bubbled...
I am going on a liveaboard in British Columbia shortly does any of the ontario fresh water freaks have any advice for me since this my first time on a liveaboard and being in B.C. :wink:

Take twice as much film or video tape as you originally planned.

Be ready for current.

Don't eat greasy food! :)

Pray for a roomie who doesn't snore.

British Columbia offers some of the best critter diving anywhere in north america... including the Islands. Have fun. You'll love it, and remember to rinse your gear!

Steve L

Hi everyone
I am very excited but abit nervous since I don't know who I rooming with I hope they don't snore!!!
I well let everyone know what I saw and how it went. Thanks for the advice I well definetly keep in mind. :)

Hi Wanda

Which live-aboard are you going on? The Sea Venturer in Port Hardy, Vancouver Island? I was on it last month, had a great time, you can check out some of the pics at http://www.securenet.net/members/jlangloi/vcr_island

For tips on this particular area on that particular boat:

1. Water temp was 45 F last month; viz approx 25-30 feet
2. Most dives are wall dives at slack tide; descent and ascent lines are of the natural kind (kelp) :)
3. All dives are taken from the "skiff", an outboard motor high speed boat that took us to and from the dive sites. The main boat only took us from one island to another daily.
4. Area is very damp and not very sunny, so bring lots of extra clothes. Thankfully the Sea Venturer had a dryer on board.
5. We went on whale watching trips, so bring plenty of film for your camera (or a huge flash card).
6. Diving isn't very restricted in terms of time and depth. You get a briefing before each dive and then go on your own with your buddy.

Another live-aboard in the Port Hardy area, the Clavella I believe it's called, operates the same way. I loved diving in British Columbia, and of all the dive trips I took, it's the only one I'm sure I'll repeat again someday. Let us know how it goes.

Kaos once bubbled...
Hi Wanda

Which live-aboard are you going on? The Sea Venturer in Port Hardy, Vancouver Island? I was on it last month, had a great time, you can check out some of the pics at http://www.securenet.net/members/jlangloi/vcr_island

For tips on this particular area on that particular boat:

1. Water temp was 45 F last month; viz approx 25-30 feet
2. Most dives are wall dives at slack tide; descent and ascent lines are of the natural kind (kelp) :)
3. All dives are taken from the "skiff", an outboard motor high speed boat that took us to and from the dive sites. The main boat only took us from one island to another daily.
4. Area is very damp and not very sunny, so bring lots of extra clothes. Thankfully the Sea Venturer had a dryer on board.
5. We went on whale watching trips, so bring plenty of film for your camera (or a huge flash card).
6. Diving isn't very restricted in terms of time and depth. You get a briefing before each dive and then go on your own with your buddy.

Another live-aboard in the Port Hardy area, the Clavella I believe it's called, operates the same way. I loved diving in British Columbia, and of all the dive trips I took, it's the only one I'm sure I'll repeat again someday. Let us know how it goes.

The live-aboard is called nautilous explorer in Port Hardy. It looks like a fair size and I am told it is a nice one to be on, we well see I guess. I did some snorkling in Alaska and did alot of swimming through kelp but never used it as a descent and ascent this well interesting. I guess I well be packing alot of warm cloths????
Thanks for the advice definitely I well take all into account.
:)

That's the one I was on. The Nautilus Explorer. It's definitely a nice boat!!

Diverlady

diverlady once bubbled...
That's the one I was on. The Nautilus Explorer. It's definitely a nice boat!!

Diverlady
Diverlady from your previous comments about your experience on a live-aboard are you sure this is a nice boat it sounds abit unorganized to me and what is the boat like eg food facility etc.???? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom