Going Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest you take an intro course, read the boards, watch videos on Youtube, pick up the books like shadow divers, etc.

the most important things though for me were to find some friends who wee tech divers too so I had someone backing me and guiding me. the last thing you need is a bunch of know it all OW divers giving you crap for mixing your own gas or diving to 200' or pushing into a mine shaft.

the other big issue is equipment, sell all your OW crap you will never need it again cause once you dive a back plate and wing you will likely never go back even for tropical single tank dives.

Tech diving is as equipment intensive as being an astronaut. Get a bp/w, drysuit, canister lights, good backup lights, tanks, a handful of regulators, etc. but dont get to much stuff as if you are really serious about deep diving then a rebreather is in your future so start saving now.

Tech diving is as equipment intensive as being an astronaut. Get a bp/w, drysuit, canister lights, good backup lights, tanks, a handful of regulators, etc. but dont get to much stuff as if you are really serious about deep diving then a rebreather is in your future so start saving now.

Or you can skip the doubles and go right to a rebreather, like I did.

There are a lot of people doing technical diving without rebreathers. It is not the inevitable end of the evolution.

I'll concur that the advice here has been very good. My caveat to what TSandM wrote (and I have to be VERY careful about "correcting" anything she writes) is IF you somehow know that you want to do technical diving, start your switch to doubles sooner than later. My first set of doubles was a pair of very old LP 72's (we now have 2 sets of them in addition to LP85's and HP 100's -- and yes, the gear WILL increase exponentially).

Do take DIR-F -- but I'd suggest taking it in doubles -- but that means you need to get your BP/W, drysuit, canlight and doubles many dives before taking the class just so you get used to everything. AND then, when you take the class, make sure your instructor really examines your rig and that you have it properly set up -- tanks in the right spot on the bands, harness/wing really set up for best balance. (And yes, this is the somewhat bitter voice of hard knocks speaking here.)

Enjoy the journey and bring your wallet.

Enjoy the journey and bring your wallet.

I forgot which book it was, but one book I was recently reading on tech diving had a line something to the effect of, "A man can develop a serious Crack habit, or be a Tech diver, but he can't afford both"!

I DIVE, check out the thread "Opinions on DSAT TecRec courses", deals with a lot of the same subject matter as this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom