Going thru Customs and getting batteries thru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might not make any sense, but you guessed "the why" exactly.

Leaving them in dive lights is a really horribly bad idea. This is part of what they are programmed to look for. Dive lights that get turned on have made their hot list (not to make a pun), so when the rules are given to the security folks, it gets put into the least common denominator: No batteries in flashlights.

I have seen two occasions where dive bags were being handled and were emitting smoke. Both were after they had been picked up by the passenger and they were heading toward the dive-op.

I heard that electric toothbush story in regards to a slightly different type of personal device :wink:

OMG!!! and I was embarrassed about my toothbrush!! Thanks for the tip on the flashlights. I'll remember to keep those batteries separate.

There have been a few reports of problems, but very few. I watched the TSA agent inspect my checked luggage in Lubbock last week. She pulled the tape off of the end of my pony, looked down inside, put it back. No interest in my batteries in checked, roll-on or backpack. Avoid lawn fertilizer getting on your stuff as that'll set off the swab tests leading to a long inspection. They said they have a lot of that with golfers.

Only problem I had leaving Coz was the agent was collecting toe-nail clippers. I carry one in my camera bag for cutting cable ties.
Maybe it had to do with the Li-ion quantity rule the TSA started a little whiles back?
Quantity? I know that Lithiums can't be loose, but not familiar with a number limit...?

But then I use almost all NiMH. Very few spare, tiny Lithiums. :pilot:

Hi Don

And some folks deserve it. Helpful warnings for the rest of us.

Like the new avatar

We are going to Roatan in October and I have read that Customs will take batteries away. How do you get them in? I would really like to get our rechargeables especially thru as well as our extra dive computer batteries.
Is there anything else that can be a possible problem getting thru, that as divers one would normally take, for example dive tool?

With the current weight limits, I'm not looking to get hit with a $75 overweight fee for $10 worth of batteries. Usually I just find someone who wants batteries, give them away, and figure my $2500 trip just cost me an extra $20.

DMs especially, like extra batteries because they tend to go on a lot of night dives.

I'd just put the little computer battery in my suitcase and not worry about it.

Terry

I recently posted in a different thread about my experiences boarding planes in La Cieba / San Pedro Sula with batteries in my carry-on. All AA, AAA, C, and D batteries in carry-ons were confiscated from everyone, whether new in packages or installed in devices. Rather than repeat it all, here is my original post (4 posts down from the top of the page); the discussion that follows may be of interest.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...sions/56235-transportation-regulations-4.html

I asked my question prior to our recently completed trip to Turneffe Island Resort in Belize - seeking to avoid a repetition. I placed all batteries in checked luggage for this trip and had no issues. Also be advised that, unlike the TSA in the USA, both Honduran and Belizian security checked for and confiscated any cigarette lighters on your person or in carryons. I had to chuckle at the questions from Belizian Customs / Immigration:

Q: What's in your bags?
A: Clothing and Scuba gear
Q: What are you going to do with the scuba gear?
A: We are staying at a diving resort.

Q: Do you have any alcohol or cigarettes?
A: Yes, a couple of packs of cigarettes.
Q:What are you going to do with them?
A: Smoke them myself.

At which point we were waived through. We managed to keep a straight face and avoid breaking out laughing until we were outside of the airport. We had a great trip and I'll be posting a trip review in the Belize sub-forum.:D

I never get asked anything, in Belize, Honduras, Mexico. I guess I look boring...?

4 trips to Honduras, and I've never had a problem. I take quite a few and always leave them in their original packaging. I put my spare camera battery in the charger inside my camera case and that has never been questioned either. I leave my 1/2 charged batteries for the boys on the dive dock. These are appreciated because batteries are expensive in Honduras.

I did see my son loose batteries confiscated while going through post scanning at the security check on the mainland! I assumed it was because they were loose???

I remember one time arriving at Roatan and no one was in place to check our passports or bags, so I just got on the bus. Leaving Roatan without a mark on my passport took some explaining. Last time I was there tho, I think they were running all the bags thru an X-ray machine and stopping any with firearms. :eek:

Anyway, hide the batteries, removed from lights, deep in your checked bags. Ignore the set-up to carry them in carry-on as that's a trick to make them easier to steal from you.

Lighters not allowed out huh? They are supposed to abide by TSA rules, but as I mentioned earlier - it's their court. While lighters were not allowed at all for some time, I stuffed a couple deep in my backpack under all of my computer flash drives, SD cards, etc. Always worked ok.

Once leaving Lubbock a TSA agent went all thru my backpack looking for a pocket knife he thot he'd seen on X-ray, even opening my empty cigarette case, but gave up. I later found the tiny knife stuck in the top of the lid. :silly:

Back
Top Bottom