Going to Bonaire in Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am headed to Bonaire myself in March. As far as enjoying the flights, my flight starts west coast Canada Friday morning and I arrive in Bonaire next day at 6 AM, 21 hours of flying and stop overs, less the four hour time zone difference.

My stay is 2 weeks and I am going with a group from my LDS. Looking at the trip and what my agenda is for the time there what I like best is that I don't have an agenda. We are going to dive or not where we want on our own schedule. I am really looking forward to diving the east windward side of the island a few times.

IT OTE=Blackbeard 69;4887839]What do you maen hope we enjoy the flights?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about anyone else but we sure couldn't get a decent flight into Bonaire :(- left at midnight to get in at dawn (and while Bonaire is great its airport totally sucks) and we had to wait hours and hours and then more hours to get our room. And we had been promised it would not be a problem. But all is well that ends well - we really had fun diving there We had the benefit of both boat and shore dives which was a great combination.

Have FUN!

I don't know about anyone else but we sure couldn't get a decent flight into Bonaire :(- left at midnight to get in at dawn (and while Bonaire is great its airport totally sucks) and we had to wait hours and hours and then more hours to get our room. And we had been promised it would not be a problem.
I like that midnight-to-dawn flight out of Newark. It's direct and it's cheap. Your complaint is with the hotel, not the airline. The Harbour Village Beach Club will check you in at 6:00 am. Take a nap, do your check-out dive and orientation, and get at least one more dive in on day one, more if you're ambitious.

Blackbeard,

There are other flight alternatives such as Delta direct from JFK or ATLANTA and Insel Air out of Miami direct to Bonaire.

US Airways and Insel just announced an interline agreement, you can take USAir to Miami and then Insel direct to Bonaire without touching your bags. You have to book each separately right now, but when you check your bags at the USAirways counter, you don't have to touch them again until you reach Bonaire!

I'll be there Feb 13-20 also. Staying at the Plaza with a group from Lancaster Scuba Center----central Pa..

This will be my 8th trip there in 4 1/2 years. In fact I just got back froma two-weeker Sept. 26th to Oct 10. I think I must like the place.

For anybody interested I have video sample clips on Vimeo that I took last March when I was there. The complete video is 45 minutes long. Bonaire Sample Clips/ Sept 2008/HC7 on Vimeo

Barry Fisher

Enjoy it, one of the best things about diving in Bonaire is the easy access to numerous dive sites, have some nice beach dives.

When we were there two years ago between Christmas and New Years, visibility was low (60 ft) and the surf was punishing. Most of the notes in my dive log are about how easy or hard it is to get into the water.

Oil Slick is nice, and Karpata was excellent. We also dove Andrea II, Jeff Davis, and 1000 steps in the North. The marine life seemed better up there. We did more dives in the South, though, concentrating in the double reef. Angel City was our favorite, though we went as far as Margate Bay. Because of ocean conditions, visibility got worse toward the southern tip. Our M.O. was to swim out to the far side of the double reef and swim into the current until about half our air was gone, then cross over to the inside of that same reef and swim back. There were a good number of eels and little things over the soft coral and sand between the site bouys and the shore to keep you occupied on your swim in. We never needed to make a safety stop because you spend 3 minutes at 15' just coming ashore. (Let the record show that our computers were satisfied, we did not really skip anything from a safety perspective.)

Andrea II ... dive both morning and night

Invisibles ... try to catch it when the tide is rising

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom