Going to Cozumel alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving as a single for over 25 years, my wife is just not into scuba. The insta buddy is horrific at times and outstanding at times. I ended up getting rescue certified just so I could deal with many of my buddys. My current Coz DM allows divers to surface with her as they use air and I end up getting nice, long dives and whatever buddy I have gets on the boat when the run out of air while I continue at my pace with the DM.

It is not the dive ops responsibility to assign you or provide a buddy for you - unless you specifically request a private DM and are willing to pay for that extra service.
And likewise, it isn't my responsibility to watch over a unknown buddy, unless someone is willing to pay me for that extra service. If a dive op "insisted" I be paired up with someone I didn't know, I'd want my money back for the dive, $50 for being a "private DM", and a signed waiver of liability.

And likewise, it isn't my responsibility to watch over a unknown buddy, unless someone is willing to pay me for that extra service. If a dive op "insisted" I be paired up with someone I didn't know, I'd want my money back for the dive, $50 for being a "private DM", and a signed waiver of liability.

Yes - exactly! I agree with you!!! OMG - did the sea just part? :wink:

What makes the OP think someone would want to be their buddy?

What makes the OP think someone would want to be their buddy?

The OP apparently is a woman. Women are wonderful so I would...unless people warned her about me first.

Not saying I would mind, probably wouldn't. I just wonder why it is that people always think they are desirable as buddy, that's all. I have only been on 1 trip that I had a buddy that came with me. I understand the concern but I also realize my limitations and that a far more experienced diver my not find me an ideal buddy.

The OP apparently is a woman. Women are wonderful so I would...unless people warned her about me first.

I blame the internet, and specifically Scuba Board. Why?, you ask. Before Internet (BI) new divers would go to coz and use the house op or some other cookie cutter op. The whole boat would be filled with new divers, sculling about and blowing through their tanks in 20 to 30 minutes. They would all be similar and all would have a good time. After a few trips and more experience some divers would no longer be satisfied with 40-40 dives. They would start to ask around to find other ops that will let them dive their limits and allow divers to surface without the entire group. These more experienced divers sought out better ops as their skills and air consumption improved.
Fast forward to today. Everyone wants the "best" or trip advisor top three or zagat rated, etc. They go to a web site and ask who is the best op. People cheerlead their op and the newly certed diver shows up at a boutique op at the same time as the experienced diver who chose the same op. Op only has one boat, divers are mixed together. The internet makes it too easy to get info about better ops or better hotels, etc and allows inexperienced divers/travelers to step up to a level beyond their ability. Same problem with rowdy, drunken, cruise ship, rednecks pissing at the swimup bar at a 5 star hotel.

Interesting view lionfish but there are dive ops with more than one boat.

I recently returned from a 10 day trip to Cozumel, travelling as a single. This was my 4th trip to the resort, so they knew my experience and abilities. The first 4 days I was in a group of 8 counting the divemaster. A family of 4, a mother / daughter combo (great divers) :) , myself, and the divemaster. For the most part I was "buddied up" with the divemaster, but basically stayed with the mother / daughter combo. Throughout the course of each dive I kept an eye on all others in the group, as I knew some lacked experience.

For two of the next four days I was teamed up with a group of 4 from the Ottawa area. All excellent and experienced divers. :cool2: One day I was again buddied up with the divemaster, and a group of five divers from Europe. Two of the divers violated the 700 psi rule on the boat (explained during the pre dive briefing), and were buddy breathing on the way up. The divemaster sternly but politely reminded them of the rules, and what was expected of them. Failure to adhere and they would not be diving again.

On my last day diving I was buddied up with a newer diver from D.C., along with several less experienced divers. I was able to watch my buddy, and even give constructive feedback in the water via hand signals. Once back on the boat I was able to explain to him in detail what I was trying to show him, and how it would extend his dive. We were the last group up (along with the divemaster) at the 45 minute mark. Prior to the last dive, I showed another couple from North Carolina how they could be more efficient in the water, and extend their bottom time. Our last dive lasted 65 minutes, with my buddy and I being the last up along with the divemaster. :clapping: Although I don't normally like being paired with newbies or less experienced divers, I took the opportunity to pass along some observations and tips on how they could be better divers. The observations and tips were well received (delivery is everything), and I was thanked for my input. :D

I have found travelling alone to be rewarding. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people from all over, and dive with people who have varying levels of experience. :cool3: I have had the opportunity to learn some things from experienced divers, and the opportunity to help those with less experience. Overall I think I get the best of both worlds.
And I do prefer diving with women. More relaxed pace, and never have anything to prove - like some of the guys I have dove with (gotta hit that 200 foot mark). :dork:

Stay safe & dive safe !!

Divegoose

. :clapping: Although I don't normally like being paired with newbies or less experienced divers, I took the opportunity to pass along some observations and tips on how they could be better divers. The observations and tips were well received (delivery is everything), and I was thanked for my input. :D

I have found travelling alone to be rewarding. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people from all over, and dive with people who have varying levels of experience. :cool3: I have had the opportunity to learn some things from experienced divers, and the opportunity to help those with less experience. Overall I think I get the best of both worlds.
And I do prefer diving with women. More relaxed pace, and never have anything to prove - like some of the guys I have dove with (gotta hit that 200

Divegoose
Wow what a nice guy! How refreshing to read your post!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom