Going to Saudi Arabia need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone! Need some help I'm traveling to Saudi Arabia for a month and will only have 2 to 3 days of free time and I really want to go scuba diving in the Red Sea but I'll be in Riyadh and need to find a way to get to the coast. Anyone know a company that charters to the coast and a good dive shop?

Im going to mention @Dave Bevan here, he is in KSA and may be able to help you out.

Good luck!

I can recommend Desert Sea Divers (Desert Sea Divers – Desert Sea Divers Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) in North Obhur - dived with them on numerous occasions and seem the most professional of all local outfits. They operate large day boats that can easily accommodate 16+ divers and do 3-tank day-trips. The sites they visit are all around 60-90 mins from the port and usually include both wreck (Chicken Wreck, Marble Wreck, etc.) and reef (Apo, Four-mile, Elbow, Anas, etc.) dives. Cost -that includes meal and soft drinks- is around 300 SAR.

Assuming you'll be working normal days/hours (i.e. Sun-Thu 8/9-5pm) you can fly to Jeddah on Thursday (spoilt for choice for flight times as there are at least 4 per hour with Saudia or Nas), stay in a hotel in Jeddah and book diving on Friday & Saturday with Desert Sea Diving. They do Nitrox and, if you arrange to return to RUH early on Sunday morning, you should be clear from excess nitrogen. One thing to keep in mind is that North Obhur is 30-40 mins away from hotels in the centre of Jeddah, so booking a taxi for the ride early in the morning (and for the way back) is advisable. There are no hotels (to my knowledge) that I'd stay at in Obhur (things mught have changed since I left) - I recommend staying in a hotel in Jeddah so you can explore the city in the evenings. What is very enjoyable, is seeing the saudi upper class enjoying themselves in the villas gardens by the Obhur creek banks and in the water, on jetskis and pleasure boats, the two sexes mingling freely, something you won't see taking place in public, anywhere else in the country.

One thing you'd need to ask your operator of choice about is whether you can dive without a Saudi diving license. I understand that this _may_ now be a requirement. I used to live in KSA and had one but my license expired after I left and on a couple of subsequent visits I was able to dive by smiling pleadingly to the Coast Guard officer on the way out of the harbour (if it comes to this, remember that politeness and flattery goes a long way).

I hope you enjoy the experience - the saudi coast of the Red Sea is not often dived so in much more pristine condition than the egyptian coast.

Last edited:
Sorry, Sunn, never been on a liveaboard from Jeddah or Yanbu... Not sure if Searcaigh can provide any insights...

Never done a live aboard from Jeddah although there was a company running something after I left in 1997, but I am not sure they are still around.

I usually use Desert Sea Divers if going on a boat trip as already mentioned above, they are fairly reliable, but if you want to use Nitrox then make sure you have your own analyser!

Shore diving can be done using some hotel beach resorts in North Obhur, Sheraton Beach Resort is pretty good with a dive shop on site for tanks etc., best give the hotel a call to arrange something ahead of time, don't just turn up.

The link above for Jeddah Dive Shops is seriously outdated, check the websites and tel numbers when you are in Riyadh.

Flights from Riyadh to Jeddah are maxed out too and yo may have to book a month ahead so be warned, some of my distributors frequently have to fly via Bahrain when going to Jeddah!

When are yo traveling there, I will be in Jeddah some time during March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom