Help Me Decide if the travel expense is worth it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if upgrading to Business with points there is an "opportunity cost". For the 150,000 or so points to upgrade one flight to Business I can get 3 or 4 economy flights free.
accumulating points and using them is a strategy and game in itself.

150K to upgrade one flight to business on top of whatever mileage or cash spent is AWFUL value so I don’t recommend that…that’s huge opportunity cost. as you say, that’s potentially a lot of other economy tickets. On the high end, business is 250K round trip with star alliance doing ultra long haul on a coveted route, likely with heavy business travel, but you can find it for less. Alternatives including doing mileage/cash combo upgrades or straight cash.

I frequent UA since I live near one of their hubs. For ultra long haul UA usually offers $450 or $600 plus 30K points from premium economy or economy, respectively. Of course, opportunity cost still exists but this is good info for the OP as they explore options and alternatives. Some of these offers are waitlist and therefore driven by status and fare class, others are immediately confirmed. (It will tell you which it is before you commit.) The cash price and/or mileage copay combo varies depending on the route. The shorter it is, the less miles and/or money it is. There is always an opportunity cost but I always look at it separately each time.

To @chillyinCanada’s point about rewards adding up, I will say having an airline specific credit card is usually the worst value as far as earning potential and spend potential but they may have perks with baggage if you don’t have status. Cards that allow you to accrue points and transfer to various airline partners or airline alliances, or even hotel groups are the most flexible. Flight deals are around and for less than or same as economy sometimes. Even with the same alliance, depending on who you transfer and book the same flight with, it can make a big difference. Or, using UA as an example, sometimes it’s fewer points to book with your credit card loyalty agency than it is with UA direct, or you can transfer to UA and go direct if that’s cheaper. (We use Chase Ultimate Rewards via Chase Sapphire Reserve and earn 3X travel and dining, 5X air travel through their portal, 10X hotel through their portal, and 10X on Lyft. Lounge access via priority pass is great. We then maximize more with 5X bonus points with Freedom and then 1.5X on everything else. We pay everything with a CC when possible.) these points can be used in their portal and are treated as a cash purchase with the hotel or airline or they can be transferred usually 1:1 to a partner. My partner’s UA card doesn’t offer high point accrual like that and it’s a lot more limited. Other options are available from American Express, Venture, Citi, etc.

deals can often be found, sometimes for the same or fewer points needed for economy award travel or not that much more. These are usually offered direct via the airlines.

I hope this helps.

I will say having an airline specific credit card is usually the worst value as far as earning potential and spend potential but they may have perks with baggage if you don’t have status.

Yes, by booking with our United Explorer cards I always get first checked bag free. I get carry-on bags with Basic Economy. And every year I get two free passes to United Club.

Yes, by booking with our United Explorer cards I always get first checked bag free. I get carry-on bags with Basic Economy. And every year I get two free passes to United Club.
Don’t you also get Group 2 boarding?

per person
Dive cruise $5k incl. park fees, fuel surcharges, and tips
Airfare $11k
Hotels $1k
We're retired, can't take money with us when we're gone.

This past year-and-a-half we did three trips to the western Pacific and Maldives. We used our points for the first trip to the Maldives, including a week at the Waldorf in London for free. After this last trip we have a ton of airline and AMEX points, the next trip overseas will cost almost nothing in terms of airfare and lodging. Looking at Bali or the Philippines. I hear both places are extremely expensive.
Curious, is there a terminal illness involved or a lucky trust fund baby with essentially unlimited funds available ? You might end up living to 95 years old hitting up Scubaboard with your 'gofundme' account if you're not careful.
I expect to retire in not more than about 4 more years, I totally ceased diving approx 5-6 years ago, one reason was to be able to better prepare for retirement via saving/investing vs burning $$$ on dive trips, my 2024 financial expectation/goal for 2024 is adding another $ 70,000 to my retirement accounts this coming year. My family members tend to live a LONG time so I'll plan to need an income stream to last for likely 30-35 years after retirement.
Remember, who knows what future financial crisis/inflation will be, and a lot of retired folks ended up unretiring when negatively affected by unexpected stock market declines and double-digit inflation and they had to re enter the work force again to just pay the bills, so don't be complacent about having plenty of $$$ to burn.

Curious, is there a terminal illness involved or a lucky trust fund baby with essentially unlimited funds available ?

Worked almost 50 years, multiple carers (including a decade in the military in combat arms), had my own business. Wise life choices, like moving to an area with high wages/low cost of living. No pension. Even if the stock market consistently performs well below below historical averages for the next 30 years, I'll still die at 95 with more $$$ than we can spend.

I'll add that I was fortunate to live in a state that offered free undergraduate college educations to state residents. That was my ticket out of minimum wage hell, and stepping stone to higher education using veteran education benefits. I've paid 10x more in income taxes than what the taxpayers gave to me for college, so free college is a win-win for everyone.

I am seriously considering a liveaboard trip in Tubbataha in March. We are finding the airfare to be almost as mucy, if not more than the week long trip on the boat. We can fly out of anywhere on the west coast. We need to fly to PPS. I cannot travel for 28+ hours in economy. Premium economy if you can find it is $3500. Business is $5K +++ Given there are other places to go and other places to dive I need help deciding if it is worth it. I have dove most of the great places in the world, with my desire being large animals. Anyone have an opinion?
If you can leave from any of the major western US cities, it needn't be too long or expensive a journey to Puerto Princesa, Philippines. Philippine Airlines and United have direct flights from San Francisco and Los Angeles I believe. I recall it being about 15 hours non-stop. That may or not be doable in Economy...that's up to you. PAL often runs promo fares where their Business Class for this route is around $2000-$2500. Another alternative is to break up the trip...flights from SFO/LAX to Tokyo or Taipei are about 10-12 hours. I would then take a long transit time (sometimes you can get 15-24 hours or more) and do an overnite at the airside airport hotel. Thus rested, the next flight to Manila is an easy 4-5 hours. The shorter flight flight segments make it easier to bear an economy seat and leg-room. The final flight to PP is maybe an hour or so domestic flight. Personally, Tubbataha wouldn't be my choice but that's more because I don't like LOBs and am more into macro. I'd do something in Indonesia but everyone has their own opinion on where to dive.

Personally, Tubbataha wouldn't be my choice but that's more because I don't like LOBs and am more into macro. I'd do something in Indonesia but everyone has their own opinion on where to dive.
You cannot afford it is the proper answer.

You cannot afford it is the proper answer.
Are you kidding? My group stays at $$$$$ resorts and choose not to do LOBs. Our last trip was close to $15k per person. But we all detest LOBs. Yet you think, we cannot afford them? Strange logic.

Are you kidding? My group stays at $$$$$ resorts and choose not to do LOBs. Our last trip was close to $15k per person. But we all detest LOBs. Yet you think, we cannot afford them? Strange logic.
At 15K per person no sweat, you’ll be the person still diving in the best locations around the world when the rest of us are left in the dust.
Congratulations on your success!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom