Going to Utila... Need advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at the Rose Hotel, but I did eat at the Mango Inn. They have a varity of rooms. Everything from a bunk house to your own nice cottage. The cottages were definatly a LOT NICER than the Rose (but more expensive too). The food was great. It is a 15 minute walk up the hill going away from town.

Can only tell you that my husband and I stayed at Deep Blue a year ago. It was a fantastic trip! Even though we were the only people at the resort and on the dive boat, we were taken to the North Side every day. We flew in with a group who stayed at the Utila Lodge. We met them again on the way off the island...they NEVER made it to the North side due to "rough conditions." In NO way was it rough.

You can't go wrong with Deep Blue. Definitely worth the money!

Got back from Utila where we stayed at the Mango Inn and dove with Utila Dive Center (UDC) on a package deal. We payed about $650 for 7 nights and 18 dives plus a night dive. That also included breakfast and dinner.

Its true that Mango Inn isn't near the water - but every morning they have a truck pick you up and take you to the dive shop for free. Its less than a two minute trip.

UDC was a really good shop - they assign you a dive master for the duration of your stay and we went on both the South and the North side. They will do pretty much what ever you want.

For those of you that are new to Utila - let me say this much - its a pretty rustic place. The web shots of the Mango Inn make it look nicer than it really is - but once you get on the Island - you realize you are in a third world country and the Magno Inn is one of the better options. This isn't really bad thing as everybody is laid back.

I will say that somebody stole my favorite sandals (leather Clarks) and my swim trunks when I left them out on the porch to dry. This was frustrating but I think it underscores the fact that you are in a poor country. After all, where else would a pair of used sandals be worth stealing (and a bathing suite !?!?!).

The diving is 'OK' on Utila. If you want to take classes on the cheap - then go to Utila. If you want to see lots of fish go somewhere else. If you want to see whale sharks - then please go some where else :)

Last note, there were about 12 people on the dive boat - of those 12 at least 3 of us got ear infections. My dive buddy and I got ear infections so bad that we couldn't fly for a couple of days and so had to extend are stay in San Pedro Sula.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

We're planning on Utila for a week in September if we can figure out the best way to get there. We can get to either Roatan or San Pedro Sula via Delta, but have to find a puddle-jumper flight to get to Utila from there. We're leaning heavily toward the Mango Inn and have seen several good reviews, and haven't heard a bad thing about the food. What about shore diving options and/or night dives? Did you have a hard time getting a connecting flight into Utila and who did you book through?

jhawke:
The diving is 'OK' on Utila. If you want to take classes on the cheap - then go to Utila. If you want to see lots of fish go somewhere else. If you want to see whale sharks - then please go some where else :)

Last note, there were about 12 people on the dive boat - of those 12 at least 3 of us got ear infections. My dive buddy and I got ear infections so bad that we couldn't fly for a couple of days and so had to extend are stay in San Pedro Sula.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

I don't know where you were diving or w/ whom...but we saw such a variety and abundance of fish when diving........the leopard flat worm on the night dive was spetacular! we saw frog fish, 3 or 4 sea horses of different colors...the white one was really amazing.....all sorts of varieties of crabs....one of the people from REEF was w/ us and commented that Utila Bay Islands is considered one of the best place for diving and has one of the best varieties of sea life.........

so I"m not sure where you dove or w/ whom that you were not happy w/ the fish that you saw.......

I have trouble clearing my ears and used mucinex-d an over the counter product which does not make you drowsy...this stuff kept me clear, my ears clear...had no problems w/ equalizing for the 2 weeks and won't dive w/out it.....one of the girls had an ear problem and w/in 30 min she felt better after taking it and was back w/ us on the 2nd dive.....

If you dive w/ Deep Blue..... Steve is amazing at finding very small creatures that most other people pass up and most never get to see...........

WicketsMom:
We're planning on Utila for a week in September if we can figure out the best way to get there. We can get to either Roatan or San Pedro Sula via Delta, but have to find a puddle-jumper flight to get to Utila from there. We're leaning heavily toward the Mango Inn and have seen several good reviews, and haven't heard a bad thing about the food. What about shore diving options and/or night dives? Did you have a hard time getting a connecting flight into Utila and who did you book through?

the one person in our party who went throu san pedro sula have problems .........the rest of us were on delta or continental flights.........no problems........

We used Atlantic Airlines for our connection from Roatan to Utila.......small planes, no idea how they do it...because to this New Yorker it all appeared to be very unorganized but you soon learn there is a method to their madness and Atlantic they actually got us and all our luggage there and back..........

My boyfriend and I (major budget travellers mind you) flew into San Pedro Sula from Philadelphia (connecting in Miami on American airlines). We had no problem with the connection (just a long wait going through customs since two large planes came in at the same time (I think there are only like 4 people maning customs at a given time). Then, we took a bus from San Pedro to La Ceiba and the ferry over to Utila the next day (the ferry is actually a fairly nice ride and gives an awesome view of the mountains going away from La Ceiba and a pretty view of Utila upon arrival). When we return to Utila in late August, we'll be flying to San Pedro again out of Miami since it's so much cheaper to do that than fly to La Ceiba from Philadelphia ($343 one way each versus $572). Once in San Pedro you can either fly to Utila or you can have a layover in La Ceiba and take the ferry over to Utila in the morning (depending on when your flight gets into San Pedro/your preference/budget).

I also thought Utila had some amazing diving. There was this one dive (I think it was called the Aquarium - would have to check my log book) where the fish were just everywhere - beautiful colors, lots of coral, absolutely amazing). While we didn't get to see a whale shark, several people at our dive shop went out the next day (in March mind you which seems to be prime whale shark time) and saw a few just on one trip!

Stiffany the round trip cost me $700 through continental........and then i think the round trip w/ atlantic cost about $119....

I agree...the variety of corol, is amazing as is the variety of sea life.......one dive a turtle came up out of a hole just as we were approaching and swam out and started crunching on some coral........every dive was breathtaking...........

I'm gonna keep my summary very brief:

Stayed at Colibri Hill resort: www.colibri-resort.com - Excellent!

Dived with DeepBlue: www.deepblueutila.com - Superb, wouldn't dive with any other operation on the island....and they have the best whale shark captain on the Island -respect to Gringo!!

Social life? Dived four times a day, ate then slept - that's what I was there for ;o)

If you wanna see what the diving is like, check out my vid on www.myspace.com/shurford

PS - bring some kick-*** sand fly repellant - but really!!

As for restaurants - DeebBlue will let you in on the off-the-track gems ;o)

shurford...please do something other than copy and paste the same post over and over in different threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom