Going to Utila... Need advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking of making a trip in a couple of weeks to Utila, Honduras. I'm planning on diving with Deep Blue ( http://www.deepblueutila.com/index.jsp ).

I would like to save some money and *not* stay with Deep Blue but instead stay in town where its supposedly $4 to $40 a night. As anybody else ever done this? If so could you please share your experience - good or bad?

Thanks,
Jason

LaCuda and I do it all the time. When you get to the airport (he, he) at Utila have the driver take you to the Hotel Rose. It is a very reasonably priced small hotel directly across the street from Deep Blue Divers in town. Near restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. We stayed there three weeks in Feb/March. Rooms run $15.00-20.00 Real nice and secure. Eric owns the hardware store downstairs.

Regards,

Cudabait:
LaCuda and I do it all the time. When you get to the airport (he, he) at Utila....
I give you the Utila airport....
:lol:​

I stayed at the Rose Hotel 2 years ago. It is not the Hilton but nothing on Utila is. Room was very basic with water stains all over the walls but it included pirated cable tv and a window mount AC. A shared refrigerator was located on the floor along with bottled water. Cost was $15 for a room without ac and $20 with ac. Location was good - right across the street from the dive shop, close to restaurants. Diving was $20 for a two tank boat dive (included decompression chamber insurance).

Very good value for a dive trip.

I was looking at Mango Inn - and it looks really nice but not expensive at all. Has anybody actually been there and can provide a testament?

Thanks,
Jason

jhawke:
I was looking at Mango Inn - and it looks really nice but not expensive at all. Has anybody actually been there and can provide a testament?

Thanks,
Jason
Have tried our Search feature?

Also try Google.com for Mango Inn Scubaboard - often givens other results.

Hi, been here about 7 months so ill tell you what i know for what its worth. If youre looking for all inclusive resorts, there are Laguna Beach, Deep blue Resort, and Utila Lodge, check them out also, all inclusive, good food, and the Bay Islands Dive College is next door so you have no shortage of people to ask advice of.

If you are budget conscious, then check out the regular dive shops,and arrange accomodations yourself. There are several cheap but decent hotels. People seem to like the Hotel Utila and Seaside for basic bed and AC, but www.aboututila.com is a great resource for accomodation.

Mango Inn is pricy and not next to their dive shop, so you may want to look elsewhere(they have really good wood-fired pizza).

As for dive shop, go with your gut and talk to them, if you like the vibe then dive with them, rather than set everything up in advance and risk disappointment.

Good luck

rhyme:
Deep blue Utila:
http://www.deepblueutila.com/
$120 pp per day + 16% honduran tax (maybe slightly less as it straddles their standard and low season prices, so itll probably average to $110 or so). Includes 3 boat dives, 2 night per week, food, unlimited shore.

Thoughts: Also seperated by water. They do offer 3 afternoon trips into town per week free of charge. Evening trip at a small cost. Maximum 20 guests. Few photos of rooms.. but they look nice. No information on their boat. Very short review on undercurrent, just says its a good choice. Found some trip report here:

http://www.zendiving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2372

you can check this out... Utila Pics many of our members who were on the trip have posted up their pictures...there are some shots of the boat...........

Capt Swin is wonderful......the crew is great.....Steve has wonderful DM's....Matt can fix anything in a blink of an eye........there is always plenty of fresh fruit....mmm the pineapple is the best! and other snacks including fresh water on the boat.....for me...I'm a brand new diver....had only done my cert dives...and these were my first ocean dives...and the entire staff made sure I was very comfortable....and secure when in the water.....you def can't go wrong w/ Deep blue....

The resort is on the ocean.......loved sitting at night on the wall or on the deck in the chairs...watching the stars, the ocean...it's beautiful!

Here is my feedback and I hope it helps:

All inclusives......Laguna beach is at top but I do like Utila Lodge for their location. They are right in the middle of town, great boats and have a nice dive operation including a decompresion chamber for the island. (Check out Bay Island College of Diving)

Deep Blue is a nice group. Only dove with them once.

Utila Dive Center is very well knowened and have a nice dive operation. Usually caters to Open Water divers and diving with them has always been fun. As I sampled out most of the Dive Shops I have stayed with the Bay Island College of Diving.

Mango Inn is owned by the Utila Dive Center owners as well. You can ususally get a nice dive package if you stay there. The pool is a nice bonus after a long day of diving.....also....the oven pizza is great.

I always stay at the Jadeseahorse cause I like the atmosphere. Owned by some very nice and interested individuals and have a great tree bar for sunset beers.

Have fun and enjoy Utila!...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom