Golf Ball Divers

Where do you fit in?

• Do you buy the balls from the course and sell them elsewhere?

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Does the course buy them from you directly? (After the Dive)

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Do you poach?

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Nasty, 0 Vis, hazardous diving is not for me.

Votes: 47 83.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, this brought back some memories. I guess I could give some of you hopefuls and adventurous ones an update of my experiences;

I did work for a company that found my courses for me. I had all the gear (dry suit, BCD, Bags, and a Tacoma) so I was set. I had a lot of fun while diving. I had a couple of scares with some Colorado lake trout. I've dove in mountain lakes before and never had a problem, but for some damn reason these trout had a thing for facing off with me about 2 feet away, then dart full military speed at my face over and over until I stirred up a mud cloud that we lost each other. It's funny now, but i never heard myself scream through a regulator like that before:shakehead:

Anyways, I did it about a total of 3 or 4 times. Each time my gear failed on me. Regs free flowed, BCD seal separated, and dry suit sprung a leak. However, I purchased all this dive gear in High school when I worked at a scuba shop in Colorado Springs and everything had about 100 lake dives and 5 years of storage time under their belts. So i wasn't too surprised. So to sum that up, this is really hard on your gear.

The golf course that i did all this at would always let me use their utility cart and the refreshment cart lady always hooked me up with free food and drink in exchanges of casual se...conversations :) I had a blast doing it and might pick it back up when I'm out of school.

Why did I quit? I had an accident in the Tacoma. I was fine, but the Tacoma was totaled and I wasn't about to haul 600 pounds of stinky golf balls and scuba gear in the back of the Audi so that was that.

Nice find Warnberg

I just know a rescue diver here in Florida, they go in with dry suit, hood, basically fully covered because of all the "little nasties" as he puts it, in the water here in Florida. He tells me the biggest thing here is not so much the gators but the snakes, the sewage and the mercury levels in the water.

45000 balls lost and retrived part time in 14 days! WOW! No double WOW! WOW! That is about 3,200+ ball recovered per day that is when you work 14 days. At 8 cents per ball that is about $256.00 perday! Tripple WOW WOW WOW=Fantastic!

And assuming you're working 8-10hrs a day, 7 days a week, that's ~$25/hr, for diving in fertilizer, sewage, bugs, snakes and gators. Doesn't sound so really "WOW" does it?

And assuming you're working 8-10hrs a day, 7 days a week, that's ~$25/hr, for diving in fertilizer, sewage, bugs, snakes and gators. Doesn't sound so really "WOW" does it?

I work about 6 hr per day, 3 days a week. We don't have gators here, never seen a snake and have very little concern about diving in water full of trout, salamanders, frogs ,etc.. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom