Golf Ball Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some of our best photo dives have been at Golf Ball Reef on New Year's Day. We pushed our luck and paid our dues. The lack of marine life around Palos Verdes is frustrating. Gone are the juvenile rockfish, nudibranchs and crabs. The gorgonians are covered with a brown decay. Even the barrel we used as a landmark is gone. These were the only photos I came away with after a seventy-seven minute dive.

GBR%201_zpsiju5ms11.jpg

GBR%202_zpsffkya8lo.jpg

GBR%204_zpsyig65zfy.jpg

GBR%205_zpsycgjmk2m.jpg

GBR%206_zpsrpzgd3eb.jpg

GBR%207_zps3aqob6qb.jpg

GBR%208_zpsvilwmuqo.jpg

What do you attribute the decrease in marine life to?

It seems to have coincided with the sea star wasting of 2013. The variety of nudibranchs we were finding, including a few not seen around Palos Verdes before has dwindled to a handful of species. Where we used to see hundreds of Spanish Shawls we now find only a couple. The same for other common species. At Merry's Reef we found numbers of blue rockfish, vermilions, honeycomb, gopher and others. Yesterday there was barely two or three fish that were not kelp rockfish.
I don't believe El Nino has anything to do with this current situation. I've experienced a couple of El Nino events since I began diving and they have brought about a few sightings of tropicals in our area and arrow crabs by the thousands but hardly affected the local populations. Although the water was unseasonably warm in September it has since returned to the normal 50s.
The reefs around Palos Verdes are a great series of micro climates. Reefs near Torrance Beach, Flat Rock and Bluff Cove are completely different than reefs just to the south. Life found near San Pedro is nothing like what is found near Pt. Vicente or Marineland. Right now all of these reefs look the same. It's as if everything decided to leave or die at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom