Good BC for a new, 13 year-old diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The seaquest passport I think is a small BC that'd fit someone about your son's size...

Although this bp/w idea sounds like a genious plan...

I recently picked up a 'classic' BC off of eBay to use as my travel BC, but now that I've used it I'm thinking of ditching my modern rig.

It's just the old-fashioned plastic backpack with a strap-on wing, vintage 1970.
Here's a link to a similar BC that's still in production, but I haven't had the chance to inspect it up-close.

It weighs next-to-nothing and packs really small, so is great for travel. I have gone back to using a weight belt, and need to add a pocket on the waist strap, but I really like it.

This type is also one-size-fits all, so might be a good option for a growing diver.

It is very similar to the BP/W setup, but without the weight of an AL or SS backplate. My belief is that I want to check as little weight as I can on the aircraft, and rent or borrow the weight when I get there.

I think when I checked the price on the Aquatec it was about $230 with the funky inflator/noisemaker (which I would not get). Pretty reasonable.

O2BBubbleFree:
I recently picked up a 'classic' BC off of eBay to use as my travel BC, but now that I've used it I'm thinking of ditching my modern rig.

It's just the old-fashioned plastic backpack with a strap-on wing, vintage 1970.
Here's a link to a similar BC that's still in production, but I haven't had the chance to inspect it up-close.

It weighs next-to-nothing and packs really small, so is great for travel. I have gone back to using a weight belt, and need to add a pocket on the waist strap, but I really like it.

This type is also one-size-fits all, so might be a good option for a growing diver.

It is very similar to the BP/W setup, but without the weight of an AL or SS backplate. My belief is that I want to check as little weight as I can on the aircraft, and rent or borrow the weight when I get there.

I think when I checked the price on the Aquatec it was about $230 with the funky inflator/noisemaker (which I would not get). Pretty reasonable.

DSS has 1.6lb partially plastic, partially SS backplates.

It's funny how often the simplistic of the old wins out over the complexity of the new...

These guys sell exclusively direct to divers off their website, so if that makes you nervous forget about it. But I know they have extremely well priced BCD's in junior sizes for about 1/3 of what you'd pay in a LDS. Being a budget minded fellow and rather new to the sport I shopped around pretty hard and rather than by a used unit
I decided to try them and for under $200 I'm not disappointed. They have juvenile models for under $125 that are full featured, and everyting is warrantied.

Thank you to everyone for your excellent suggestions! Much appreciated.

james croft:
BP/W may be a good choice. I also recently have seen a BC made by Seasoft (Ithink I got that name right) that is extremely adjustable and would probably fit him until it wears out.

SeaSoft would be the last BC I would want to consider this is the first BC they have ever developed and has only been on the market for a very short time, for my child however, the other brands mentiod will be a much better choice.

A Dive Rite Transpac (size small) with a travel wing would be perfect and you son could still me using this through his 18th birthday.

See if you can pick on up on ebay or if you want to go the new route Dive Rite Express in Florida can set you and are a authorized dealer.

My 11-yo daughter loves her Zeagle Brigade. Very grab and go with lots of pockets and clips for all her doodads. I personally like the Dive Rite Transpac.

The seasoft pro bc will fit anyone from 70lbs. to 240 lbs. (so it can grow with him)
It is the most adjustable jacket style bc on the market
And the most comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom