good bottle sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an old dump site at the end of Green St. in Havre de Grace, MD that has always produced a lot of bottles. Numerous broken ones, but a fair number of intact ones as well. John at Northeast Scuba Supply runs regular excursions there and is a good source of info. www.Northeastscubasupply.com.

Jeff

Hi BottleHunter, Seems like many divers will grab the occasional bottle they see on the bottom for a souvenier but are not true "bottlehunters" I live near the area Wrek2 mentioned and yes it does produce a nice one from time to time. Seems like your area should have a few ponds,lakes and small rivers that had alot of activity pre 1900 so you should check them out. What we look for here are abandoned piers, old landing areas, and places where ships would anchor up in foul weather. If you are every down the jerseyshore i would be glad to put you onto a few good spots around the Highlands/Sandyhook area. Happy Hunting and Dive Safe!, JBones

Originally Posted by wrekdiver2

Delaware (1898) I have only one

Does it happen to have "Jacksonville Steam Bottling Works" on it. I have a few

The Iberia yielded quite a few F&M Shaefer Brewing Co. bottles which were inside the wheelhouse along with some drycell batteries circa 1888

There was some old hotels on the southern end of Staten Island and we used to mailbox a couple of areas which had piers and did quite well although that was 30yrs ago

quimby:
Does it happen to have "Jacksonville Steam Bottling Works" on it. I have a few

That's the bottle!

A friend of mine pulled another one up 2 weeks ago.

I've never dived for them but I believe that Rouses Point NY on Lake Champlain might be a good location for prohibition bottles as this was the customs port where smuggled booze was brought in and sometimes confiscated. I've seen photos of thousands of bottles of booze and beer being smashed by law enforcement against the rocks of a pier on the lake. The pier is still there, I'm sure lots of those bottles were lobbed past into the water. This is only about a 3 hour drive from Albany. I've also read that San Francisco Bay is a treasure trove for bottles. A much longer drive from Albany though :wink:

Back
Top Bottom