Good Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micahking

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for a carry on bag that can handle all of my gear including fins but not a wetsuit. It doesn't matter to me if the fins have to strap to the side (like the Aeris Nomad bag). I don't want to spend too much money so under $100 would be great.

I have the akona carry on bag, it would fit everything but my fins. ( mares quatros) but I supose smaller fins would fit.

From the Travel Insider Website........

General Luggage Policies
Note that when maximum size measurements are shown as a total number of inches (eg 45") this is the total of the length, width and height of the piece. There are standard sets of dimensions that go to make up these totals (for example, 22 x 14 x 9 is the standard for 45") and if you have a bag that is an unusual shape but still within the total number of inches, you may find it being rejected. The safe maximum size is 45", in the form of a 22" x 14" x 9" bag. Some airlines allow up to as much as 55", but most do not.

Domestic and International Carryon Luggage Policy variations
International flights often have much stricter carry-on policies, particularly with regard to the weight of carry-on bags. Although most domestic airlines have no limit on carry-on bag weight, internationally, you will find that some airlines set such ridiculously low carry-on weight limits (sometimes as little as 11 lbs) that the weight of an empty carry-on bag is more than the total weight you're allowed to take with you!

Fitting all you dive gear into a guaranteed "any airline carry-on bag" might be tough to do.......

If I can make a suggestion......I would aim for a checked bag with NO scuba markings at all (a $25 Wal-Mart rolling duffle is perfect) and a carry-on bag (or backpack) for the mask, computer, regs, camera, etc.......

Based on my experience, airlines are enforcing luggage weight and size limits much more now than say 2 years ago. Of course, what did they expect when they started charging for checked bags?......folks just started trying to bring them into the cabin...

Hope this helps.......M

Care to share?

Not allowed to have secrets on SB.......:)

M

That Akona carry on bag looks like a sure bet for me. From what Jorgy was saying, it may be a couple inches too big for an overhead compartment. With this bag weighing 6 lbs, you have room for gear to be added also, which is nice.

(Not sure if it will fit a Halcyon Singles rig with Scuba Pro Jet fins.)

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I just used a Dive Caddy. Dive Caddy - The Worlds Smartest Dive Bag System! it worked great. You just roll up your gear, compress it in the Dive Caddy and carry it on you back onto the plane. I am looking into a dealership with them. If you are interested let me know. I hope to have a good price. Watch their video link at near the top of the site.
What are the dimensions of the bag - with the normal warm water scuba stuff packed inside?

I packed a 4XL 3mm wet suit, hood, booties, rash guard, bathing suit, Micro Fiber towel, air delivery system with dive computer, pair of twin jet fins, Travel Lite BC, all in the main pack. Flashlight, Mask, snorkel, camera and iPod in the turtle pack. Had no problems going through TSA checks. It fit just fine in the overhead. With all packed, bag weighted 35 lbs. Bag alone only weighs 5 pounds.
Didn't measure it packed but it did easily fit in the overhead. Will pack it again sometime this week and give you the dimensions.
http://www.divecaddy.net/index.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom