Good conditioning exercise for diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer: I wasn't joking.

Since you mentioned a mountain, start walking a 2 mile down and back up track or similar.

Start with 1 and 1, 2 & 2 etc.....it's free and you learn to meet your neighbors.

Walking is the best low impact exercise

I recommend you take a total-body approach to get you in top shape for your next dive. This workout will burn fat, boost strength, and improve endurance--plus it requires no equipment.

DYNAMIC WARMUP
1) Jog for 5 minutes

Do the next moves by traveling back and forth for 20 yards with no rest in between.

2A) Walk while raising your knees as high as you can
2B) Skip
2C) Jog backward
2D) Shuffle to the side
2E) Sprint 50 yards, rest 30 seconds and sprint another 50 yards

REACTIVE TRAINING
Do the following circuit resting 30 seconds between each movement. After you finish, rest for 2 minutes and repeat for two total circuits.

3A) Squat jump (10 reps)
3B) Scissor jump (20 reps)
3C) Squat thrust to pushup (10 reps)

STRENGTH TRAINING
Perform each exercise for 2 minutes and repeat for three total circuits. No rest between sets here.

4A) Traveling lunge
4B) Pushup
4C) Prone plank

CONDITIONING
Perform each of the following sprints twice. Rest for 1 minute between sprints.

5A) 50 yards
5B) 100 yards

Get custom-tailored workouts, step-by-step training tips, and done-for-you eating plans to completely transform your body in less time. Plus, uncommon sleep and stress management strategies to increase energy so you feel refreshed every day.

Good luck,

Joseph

WorkoutEngine - Your online personal trainer
Start your f r e e trial at WorkoutEngine dot com

Since you mentioned a mountain, start walking a 2 mile down and back up track or similar.

Start with 1 and 1, 2 & 2 etc.....it's free and you learn to meet your neighbors.

Walking may be good, but it's not necessarily the best low impact exercise, and it must be done in moderation. A couple of years ago, I started walking 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I was losing weight, improving stamina, and growing muscles in my legs I never knew existed. I didn't think i was overdoing it.

After about 9 months, I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot and spent 8 weeks in an immobilizing boot. On top of that, tendonitis started flaring up in my knees and feet. Too much walking can be tough on middle-aged bodies (I was 48 at that time.) My orthopedist said that, for joints and tendons, walking is better than running, but he recommended biking, swimming and an elliptical machine as the best low impact exercises. So, that's more of what I do now. I do walk on occasion, but not excessively.

I have learned a significant amount about exercising since then. I'm not saying walking isn't good, but it, must be done in moderation, and not to the exclusion of other forms of exercise, especially if you're not a youngster anymore.

Now I just get on the elliptical and go to town for 40 minutes while I watch an episode of True Blood on dvd.
Obviously I know nothing about scubadobadoo's workout habits, but I do have a general observation. Many people who watch video when they are on the elliptical trainer or stationary bike spend their hour in the gym barely moving and apparently oblivious to that fact. Music is, in my opinion, indispensable to the cardio portion of the workout, but video takes your focus off your heart-rate, breathing rate, rpms or whatever feedback you use to make sure the workout is truly demanding.

You might enjoy reading Fitness for Divers by Cameron Martz.. I'm sure some of what he recommends requires gym equipment, but you may be able to adapt it to your particular possibilities.

And kudos to you for being motivated!

I browsed this book online and just ordered it.. thanks for the suggestion it looks great.

Humm...:confused:I explained I was flabby and outta shape and you want me to start with a 2 mile "HILL":shakehead:

I'm working on starting a bit slower... my mailbox is just over a 1/4 mile in one direction and I can loop 1/2 on the return trip. Trust me.. right now that 3/4 has me puffing like an old steam engine.

DiveMom ... I'm an old, fat dude and what helped me was getting a stationary bike. I started out slow and worked my way up to where I could pedal for at least 30 minutes at a pretty good clip. It helped my cardio tremendously.

There are any number of things you can do, but what I discovered is that it's got to be something that you basically enjoy (or at least don't mind) doing ... otherwise you're going to do it for a little while then start finding reasons not to.

And you've got to stick with it ... so make it a part of your daily routine. It doesn't need to be long, or onerous, but it needs to be regular. People are habitual ... once it becomes a habit it's something you're less likely to do for a while then quit doing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I could really enjoy a stationary bike! I love to bike [just not on this mountain] .. I used to throw the bike on the back of my van regularly to bop around town doing errands.. then toss the bike back on the rack and drive up the mountain home. Although this is a regular mountain for bike clubs, it's not my cup of tea! Not to mention it is very narrow with no bike lane [mostly no shoulder at all]

I'll look at a stationary bike.. with winter aproaching even the weather won't be an excuse. :)

Thanks as always Bob!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom