Good conditioning exercise for diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... but video takes your focus off your heart-rate, breathing rate, rpms or whatever feedback you use to make sure the workout is truly demanding.

Only if you let it. :wink: But yes I get your point. I have watched people at the gym watching TV while on machines and they look like they are still on the couch. You certainly have to keep your focus on your workout and merely an eye on the TV. Besides, that's why I watch sports and True Blood. Those programs don't require much attention. :wink:

I just watched the Yankees demolish Philly and burned almost 500 calories in 40 minutes and I was working much harder than any of the Yankees were, lol. :D

Coincidentally, scuba diving mag has a "story" on diving fitness this month.

Maybe I'll put in a dive video and "cycle" to keep up with divers or at least as a reminder to why I'm there in the first place.

I just watched the Yankees demolish Philly and burned almost 500 calories in 40 minutes and I was working much harder than any of the Yankees were, lol. :D
I watched that too--great game. I think my employer may have gotten short shrift on that deal. :wink:

I bet Johnny Damon burned a few calories stealing two bases at a time--ouch.:D

Maybe I'll put in a dive video and "cycle" to keep up with divers or at least as a reminder to why I'm there in the first place.
Motivation is everything. Historically, whenever I was unattached I managed to stay quite slim and fit. That motivation is all but gone, so having a dive trip in the offing is the next best thing. I am pretty good at getting to the gym (it's only an elevator ride away, so it's hard to find decent excuses), but in the three or four weeks leading up to a trip I turn up the effort on my cardio a notch. I use a little less gas, and look a little better in beach attire.

DiveMom1, since you already have a bike, I recommend a something called an indoor bike trainer. Take a look at the attached pictures. Basically, it attaches on the hub of the rear wheel and lifts the rear tire off the ground, so you pedal, but go nowhere. Very stable. About $ 250 for a trail bike version and less for a road bike version. Available in bike shops. One problem with stationary bikes is they very often don't have a natural feel to them, unless you move up the price range. And being 2 hours away, you may not get a chance to try out many different models to see which you like riding. I once had a model from Sears, felt comfortable enough, but it wore out pretty quickly. Didn't get to use it very much. My first indoor trainer wore out too, but at least I got my money's worth from it. (Everything mechanical wears out eventually). With the indoor trainer, you feel totally natural, because you're on your own bike. It has several resistance levels on the unit, plus you can use your bike's gears to change resistance as you are pedalling.

Negatives: Not as easy to read a magazine. Not as easy to sit up with your back straight for any period of time. No fancy heart rate monitor, hill programs etc. (Actually, you can buy software for your PC and plug that in, but that's going over the top!)

Good luck! You seem pretty motivated, remember that you need to get your heart rate up for 20 minutes to get a good cardio workout, so don't discount plain walking in the beginning. Remember that regularity is key (as mentioned by others), so just get into a rythm and keep at it, slowly increasing time & intensity. Don't neglect weight training - mixing that in actually helps with the cardio too.

P1010016 - Copy.JPG

P1010015 - Copy.JPG

We have tons of bike shops in surrounding towns, I bet one of them will have one of these. I've never seen or heard of one before. I would prefer my own bike as I have a custom seat [for sensitive tushy] It also seems to take up less space and be easier to move. THANKS!

Now weight training.. eeeewwww.. ok, maybe I'll give it a try but I'll warn you like I did hubby before we got married. I don't do windows and I don't do crunches!

A company called Nashbar has a lot of trainers on sale right now (as does almost every bike place...daylight savings time causes a run on indoor trainers).

Trainer plus Netflix = hours of spinning fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom