Good Deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieMc5280

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am still new enough to diving that I have not purchased my own set-up. However, I am ready to make the move. I visited my LDS and was a bit floored by how expensive it is- so went online and found that what I'm wanting is actually cheaper to purchase from LDS than online. That being said, yesterday I was emailed this "Deal of the Day" from Amazon and it seems like a great deal. I would love to know your thoughts on it.

Thank you!

Amazon.com : Aqua Lung Travel 9 LBS Scuba Gear Package Zuma BCD i300 Dive Computer Micron Reg Set Reg Bag : Sports & Outdoors

Can you explain in more detail how it "doesn't look like much of a deal"? I've been pricing gear for over a year and this is by far one of the best deals I've seen. As far as the kind of diving I do-- I'm land locked in Colorado so I tend to do vacation diving. I have deep dives under my belt (Blue Hole) as well as high altitude dives living here in Denver. I dive enough to know I want my own gear- I want to make sure it is serviced by my LDS and no one else is using it. As far as where I see my "diving progressing" over the next five years? I want to get as many dives in as my budget allows.

DeepSeaSupply - Products
complete rig from there $500-vastly superior rig, and is actually better for travel believe it or not.

Hollis DG03 Computer and Accessories | Dive Gear Express®
NiTek Q Technical Dive Computer by Dive Rite | Dive Gear Express®
vastly superior computers, either one of them. $250-$400 depending on which you go with.

Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
yes this is a doubles kit, but it can be ordered in yoke instead of DIN, and it's the best bang for buck. Call and ask what the price would be for a yoke singles kit, tell them I sent you there and they'll work with you. Probably around $500 give or take.

anyway, so total there is between $1400-$1600 depending on the computer, but you have a vastly superior bc, much better regs, and an infinitely better computer. These will last for all types of diving you could ever want to do *bc would need the wing changed for doubles, or whole thing swapped for sidemount*, but everything else will last the rest of your diving career. Yes you can find cheaper deals out there, but nothing that is better "bang for the buck" that will hold resale value if you decide to sell, and can actually grow with you for any future diving.

I don't think that is a "bad" deal at all. I just put together a set of gear for my daughter in law that included a used BCD, new fins and mask, a new MK17 first stage and used (but serviced) S600 and octo, along with used gauges and a used Suunto wrist computer.

It would have been even cheaper but the used MK 25 I got with the BCD and second stages ended up being a lost cause and so I had to buy the MK17.

So, while the package from Amazon isnt "bad" you can do better for less if you want to put the time into doing the research searching out the deals.

You can often get brand new gear off from Ebay at drastically reduced prices if you take your time and deal wisely.

As far as service.....in my opinion having your LDS is neither hear no there if you are a vacation diver. There are a ton of places that can service your gear if you ship it to them and vacation divers generally have lots of time between trips to allow for shipping time. Many of them are very reputable and do fine work.

Can you explain in more detail how it "doesn't look like much of a deal"? I've been pricing gear for over a year and this is by far one of the best deals I've seen. As far as the kind of diving I do-- I'm land locked in Colorado so I tend to do vacation diving. I have deep dives under my belt (Blue Hole) as well as high altitude dives living here in Denver. I dive enough to know I want my own gear- I want to make sure it is serviced by my LDS and no one else is using it. As far as where I see my "diving progressing" over the next five years? I want to get as many dives in as my budget allows.

To echo tbone, my thoughts were there's not much room to grow and customize with that package.

I really love my harness BC. A perfect example... a couple weeks ago I wanted to add a second left shoulder D ring. Had I bought a BC like the one you linked I don't believe it would be possible. A back plate and wing may be a little overkill if your diving is going to consist of relatively shallow water vacation diving. Especially considering travel, weight issues.

If I were in your shoes I'd call DiveRite and see if they would give you a package deal. I'm going to give you a "biased" recommendation.

I'd go with the DiveRite HunterPac. $399. I own it and really enjoy diving it. Light weight (Important for me as I dive heavy negative steel tanks, and carry a lot of gear), rolls up nicely for travel and has plenty of lift at 35 lbs., yet it's still very streamlined compared to typical jacket BC's.
Dive Rite HunterPac BCD | Dive Gear Express®

They also have a decent deal on a reg set package. Again $399. I own three sets and have no complaints. Hard to beat for the price.
DGX Custom - Hollis DC1/212 Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®

And for a computer, a simple Nitrox wrist puck computer will work fine. $150. And if you move onto more advanced diving it can be used as a backup. I don't have experience with this computer but the reviews are pretty good for its simplicity and intuitiveness. Add a few bucks more if you want the puck pro.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrspwc/mares-puck-wrist-computer?gclid=CMLJzIzgoM0CFdgHgQodLVAKBA&kwid=productads-adid^88200967873-device^t-plaid^183055066393-sku^MRSPWC@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

So now we're at $950, cheaper than the Amazon package and you still have some extra money to buy some accessories. Head over to Piranha Dive MFG. Pick up an Explorer Pocket, a 6ft DSMB, spool, whistle, Knife, EMT Shears, etc. ~$100.
Piranha Dive Mfg.

Then order a couple weight pockets. Like the XS Scuba quick release weight pockets. $20.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xssqawp/xs-scuba-quick-attach-single-weight-pocket?gclid=CL_OndHfoM0CFdgIgQod2cMKGA&kwid=productads-adid^88200967873-device^t-plaid^183379661353-sku^XSSQAWP@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

So, now we're at $1070, about the same price as your Amazon package, but a whole lot more gear. Does that Amazon deal still look to be good?

Also, a side note, I'd consider adding a DiveAlert and PLB at some point as well.

Last edited:
It is a pretty good deal, list on all of that would be just over $1500 and Aqualung doesn't usually allow dealers to discount much below MAP.

A couple considerations. What size BC do you use? - I noticed you're female. The two smaller size Zuma's only have 22lbs. of lift so that could be an issue in cold water diving if you plan to do that since you'll need a lot more weight to compensate for thicker neoprene. ML/LG and up are 34#.

Nice thing about the Zuma is it rolls up and packs into a supplied drawstring bag so is pretty optimal for travel. It or the Scubapro Litehawk have been on my short list for a while since all I do is travel to dive.

Mikron's are advertised as the lightest reg in the world yet take standard Aqualung parts. Both stages are balanced and it's EN250 so certified to >10 C' (50F) so you shouldn't have any problems in CO diving unless you're diving in winter - maybe not under ice though.

Search here for posts about the ABS - I've suggested it in the past - I like the swivel functionality in a donate situation but others have posted it's a hard breather. Possibly you could upgrade to a standard Core/Titan octo instead - only $20 more list. Or to keep the swivel, an Apeks Egress is $45 more - Apeks in the U.S. is distributed by Aqualung so dealers won't have problems getting service parts.

Online Scuba is a division of Dive Las Vegas - they have the same deal on their website so maybe contact them direct if you want to make any changes/upgrades. They are an authorized dealer also so your local AL shop will do any warranty work and maintain the Free Parts for Life also if that applies to that reg.

Last edited:
It's an ok deal. The retail on those items combined is in the $1300 range; the Amazon deal is $1034, which is about 25% off.

The Mikron is promoted by AL as its "travel reg", because it's very lightweight and compact. Same thing with the Zuma BCD.

I see two potential problems with the deal: I just clicked on the "size" dropdown on Amazon and it seems all they have is XL and XXL; and... if your LDS offers competitive pricing but everyone insists on getting deals online, the LDS will eventually give up and close the shop.

Scuba is a complex business and it is difficult to keep all the moving pieces (customers needs, shop owners needs, etc) in sync. Just do your best.

either get a cheap computer like the mares puck pro or if you're spending close to 300+, get a used shearwater.

DRIS/DGX also sell budget bpw packages that are pretty reasonably priced.

for regulators, shop around for deals. used to be the hogs were cheaper and easier to recommend as a value option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom